• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Jeff, the previous ridgid was grey and had a lattice type of wing. It looked like a grid with openings. That's probably what you were thinking.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I am probably the weirdest saw owning woodworker here! I had what most people dream about - a Unisaw - and sold it. Used an old Sears contractors saw for a short time then bought a BT3000 and a 3100. Still have both. The Unisaw was one of those that could be aligned and then it would get out of whack again with a few days use - the fence, the blades wobbled. Even a new blade. My dad had the same problem. I inherited it from him and the problems it had.

The Unisaw would rip 2x4s all day long much faster than a contractors saw for sure. But if I wanted cabinet and furniture grade cuts, I had to be prepared to figure with the fence and use the jointer to get the saw marks out.

I'll take the BT even today!

Now I know that everyone is saying how dumb that is above - picking a BT over a Unisaw. Most poeple will admit that was an unusual situation. But the fact is when Norm in Fujino used to post here and on the Ryobi forum regularly, (The one that started the "paint the red line") Norm would often post frequent problems from other forums concerning some high end contractors and cabinet makers saw, Delta and Unisaw included. A regular list of quality control problems was not uncommon with these high end saws that most people aspire to own. But when this happens to a BT - well you can expect that because of its price or because it is a piece of junk.

Why not apply the same critiques to the high end with the same number of problems as is with the BT. Being fair is only fair.

I am not partial to or passionate about the BT just because I own two. I am partial to them because they work better than the Unisaw that I had!

I personally think it is dumb to be partial to some machine just because a person owns it, unless it is a valuable antique or family heirloom. I am not partial to Ryobi. I am partial to fine cutting machines! When mine are no longer fine cutting machines, I will find another one that is.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-26-2006, 10:20 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006
        • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
        • BT-3100

Well...just picked up the BT-3100 today and will be setting it up over the next few days.

Thanks very much to everyone for their valuable input with my decision. I think this is a really great forum and I look forward to gaining more tips and experience from everyone. I also hope to contribute more as I gain experience as a woodworker.

Roger

Comment

Working...