• Show
Clear All
  • Don Rideout
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • BT3100

How much is your time worth?

A friend/coworker of mine wants me to build a built-in bookcase for her and I'm trying to figure out what the going price of time in the workshop is worth. The material is easy to figure out but I've never been in the position where I have had to tally up my labor and charge for it.

Any thoughts or help?

Don
    Don
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

The first rule is to never do any work for a friend and esp. not for a co-worker, because whatever you charge, it will be percieved as "too much". The only thing you can do is give her a list of materials showing how much they cost and get her to pay for that.
    In other words, your time is free.

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

My friends have never had a problem paying me for work performed. If someone asks me to build something I've never built before, I charge less as it is a learning experience for me. I charge by adding the costs of materials, with 15% for wear and tear on tools (sand paper, screws, nails, etc. are in this figure), and then add a $50.00 flat chrage for my time. If it's new, with techniques I've never tried before I usually drop the $50 but still include the 15%. I've got a ROS in the tool hospital right now, it's going to cost me to have it repaired, $45.00. It quit while I building an item for the local Ace Hardware store owner. He's a friend but, he's still paying for material, wear and tear etc. and the $50.00. Although this time he's paying with gift certificate so he's still getting a deal. He'll ring the items on the certificate at full value so he's actually only paying around $25.00. Still, we're both happy.

If I botch it the first time. I start over, writing off the costs of the first try, but add the $50.00 to the final tally on the finished project. The $50.00 charge is so the customer, and that is what the friend has become, will understand that they purchased the item, it's not a gift, and that my time has value, same as theirs.

My time is too valuable to give it away. While I make items for gifts, I have no problem covering all of my costs for requested items. This is particularly true when I could have been doing something else with my time than building a requested item. Plus, I drop everything else to build and finish such a request.

I also make items which are sold at the local botanical garden, a nonprofit organization. For them I total the materials and add $25.00 and they then sell them for what the market will stand, using the profits to underwrite their costs. I figure the $25.00 covers sand paper, paint, wear and tear, and etc. plus a little something for the shop refrigerator.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

I usually just tell people that all they'll have to do for me is buy me dinner. Most of them have seen me eat, and they just say "Thanks anyway!"...
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Otter
          • Nov 2003
          • Cumming, GA, USA.
          • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I have stopped all work for friends and co-workers, it is just too much hassel. I have turned down cash offers that are way out of line for a box, and am happy for it.
          All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

It depends...

If you are taking away shop time that you would use if they didn't have a project for you, then you charge them. (As for prices, find a similar piece on the net, then take about 30% off)

If you are using shop time that would have been spent in front of the tv, then dn't chrge them, but just have them take you to dinner.
            Alex

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I charge a minimum 1 beer per hour ;-) plus materials.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Doing work for family and friends is tough. As was mentioned earlier, the perception of your labor "charge" is often quite negative. Of course every situation may be different. If you are already in a business, family and friends always expect a big discount, which frankly is almost like stealing from you, because they think you make big $ (isn't every self-employed person rich?) and they deserve a price break and after all, they have little or no perception of the drain on your livelyhood.

I would probably have a tendency to ask them to pay for the materials and then perhaps "tip" you for the labor. Or, you could cost the materials and then check the price of something similar at a furniture store and price from there. Personally, such work is often a labor of love and if I can get back the material cost, I feel I'm even. Just be aware that if you truly add up your labor at a decent labor rate, you'll most likely get looked at in a negative way. Single unit, craft work is quite likely to be much more expensive than the equivalent piece made in mass at a factory.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• SteveJ
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

If someone likes my work (furniture) enough to have it in their home then that's payment enough for me and I'll do it for the cost of materials. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't agree to do something which can't be done in my shop, like cabinets or shelving. I don't however, mind lending a helping hand to a friend, as long as we both understand that it's his project and not mine (and he doesn't ask too often). I've found that the ownership of a project is a line that's easily blurred if it isn't made clear right at the very start. .......Steve

p/s notice I said "his project". my wife has never been too understanding about my efforts to help the pretty lady down the street so I've learned those projects are best left to the next guy.

Comment

• onedash
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Maryland
                    • Craftsman 22124

Although I havent sold anything I always kinda figured a good estimate would be double the material cost. And that would probably be a bargain compared to what they could buy commercially either in quality or price.
                    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I did a couple of pet steps for 2 girls at work. The first one was pine and fir ply with a lot of trial and eror. The second one was birch/birch ply and a little nicer looking with the things I learned on the first one. Both were done with materials on hand and the second one went faster. $50 and $75, respectively.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

Originally posted by just4funsies
                        I usually just tell people that all they'll have to do for me is buy me dinner. Most of them have seen me eat, and they just say "Thanks anyway!"...
                        That was good.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Don Rideout
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Ottawa, Canada
                          • BT3100

Thanks to all for the replies. I already made her a fireplace mantle and was prepared to ask for cost of material plus a nominal fee to cover tool time but she beat me to the punch and I told her it was far too much but she wouldn't take no for an answer. I don't do this as a business as it's just a hobby and that's why I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out. I really appreciate the comments. Looks like I have some pondering to do....

Don
                          Last edited by Don Rideout; 04-02-2006, 08:28 AM.
                          Don

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by onedash
                            Although I havent sold anything I always kinda figured a good estimate would be double the material cost. And that would probably be a bargain compared to what they could buy commercially either in quality or price.
                            On some of my projects that is precisely what I charge!

Other projects requiring extra design time or complicated joinery cost more.

Custom designed pieces I charge minimum three times cost of material.

So far everyone has been happy. Projects out of my shop are of much higher quality in both materials and construction than what is available from a factory supplied retailer so my work is worth more.

IMHO making things without charging for your labor causes the person recieving the work feel that they "owe" you. That can lead to problems down the road if the person is a co-worker.

Sometimes I'll just make a gift for a family member if they ask.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

I think 3times cost of materials is a good place to start. I have bought a couple of pieces that friends have made and paid about that and felt like I got a heck of a deal. I bet some furniture stores charge double or triple that.You are also afraid to pick it up or stand on it after you buy it.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...