Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

How deep dogs??

OK fellow dog experts......

I plan to finish my benchtop this comming weekend including drilling out dog holes. The question is how deep?

If I go all the way through then doesnt this mean dirt and sawdust will drop through into the drawers and cupboards in the bench.

If I dont then wont the holes fill up with the aforementioned dirt and dust?

any experience or advice please......

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I guess in your case I wouldn't go all the way through. On my bench, my dog holes are on the bench top that over hangs so the dust falling through isn't a problem.
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Drill all the way through. If you haven't built all those drawers yet, see if you can dedicate about 1/2" to a sort of slideout tray. Tack thin strips of 3/8" ply on the edges of 1/8" hardboard, and improvise a way for slidng it out from undert the bench top. A couple aluminum channels come to mind.

This way, your drawers stay clean, and you can sweep the dust into dog holes - or pull the dust tray out a bit and sweep off the front into it. And if a small piece of hardware falls into a dog hole, the tray provides an easy means to 'rescue' it.

Comment

Working...