• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Jett
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Tyler, TX.

Bandsaw-1st lesson

Just bought my first andsaw, a Delta 10". Tuned it according to instructions elsewhere on this site. Cut just fine with the OEM blade.

Decided to use it to slice some pieces off one of those fire logs. The type you just light and it burns by itself.

BAD IDEA. These things are made of goopy sticky wax and sawdust! Had to spend the next couple of hours learning how to replace the blade and clean the tires on the wheels. Finally got it all cleaned off. Had to scape and wipe. Took 2 minutes to fowl the blade and load up the inside of the saw with damp wax/sawdust mixture, and two hours cleaning it all off.

Lesson learned-don't try to cut up those firelogs with your woodworking tools.
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

It's a pretty bad idea to do anything other than burn that stuff. It's intentionally very flammable - consider yourself lucky that a piece didn't hit a hot piece of metal and catch fire.
    -Joe

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

You may have been luckier than you realize - if you were cutting slices off a round piece of wood, this should always be done using a "V" block, otherwise the piece can be spun by the blade, hurtle round the shop, break the blade or - worst case scenario - drag your hand into the blade.

I'm not sure if that is what you did, but as it's your first bandsaw, the heads-up may be useful.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

These things are usually not round - they are not real 'logs'. What prompted you to try cutting one anyway? No real scrap wood anywhere in the house?

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by RayintheUK
          You may have been luckier than you realize - if you were cutting slices off a round piece of wood, this should always be done using a "V" block, otherwise the piece can be spun by the blade, hurtle round the shop, break the blade or - worst case scenario - drag your hand into the blade.
          Or in my case: bend the blade, destroy the upper and lower bearings and punch me in the face with a flying piece of wood... all in the blink of an eye. The worse part is, I'm a slow learner so I had to do this twice before I figured it out!
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

T-Man, did you suffer memory loss after that first blow to the head? The WW gods rarely send a second "hint", and usually not even a first...
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Tundra_Man
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by just4funsies
              T-Man, did you suffer memory loss after that first blow to the head? The WW gods rarely send a second "hint", and usually not even a first...
              I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.
              Terry

Comment

• dale
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Mesa, AZ, USA.
                • BTS-15

Terry, I rememeber you posting about kickback from your bandsaw in another thread--something about you eventually deciding you were trying to make a cut that just shouldn't be done on a bandsaw. Was this what you were talking about?
                I really am going to make something one of these days.

Comment

• thestinker
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Wow..thus far about all I have cut with my saw is flat wood. I think I will keep it that way. By the way what is a "v block" anyway, should I want to cut something round?
                  Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by thestinker
                    Wow..thus far about all I have cut with my saw is flat wood. I think I will keep it that way. By the way what is a "v block" anyway, should I want to cut something round?
                    It's a jig with a v-shaped cut-out in it. The circular stock sits in the "V" which gives it support from two sides. The jig and the stock are pushed into the blade to make the cut in some cases. Here's a quick drawing:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	vblock.gif
Views:	1
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	779204

HTH

Ray.
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Dave Jett
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Tyler, TX.

butcher saw

so its safe to assume you guys have never used any of your woodworking tools/saws for other purposes?...say, like butchering a deer or a hog?...just kidding.

The original firelogs were too long to fit inside my patio fireplace (Chimnea). They are flat on one side, so there was no problem with them turning during the saw cut. They seemed fairly hard, but I later found I could break them in half by hand. They don't catch fire very easily. Cant light them with a match, needs paper kindling to start the fire or you have to hold a bic lighter to it for about a minute before it starts burning. I don't think there's a serious threat of catching fire in the saw but what a mess to clean up!

Comment

• just4funsies
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Florida.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Tundra_Man
                        I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.
                        You might wanna worry about exterminating yourself, instead...
                        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by Dave Jett
                          so its safe to assume you guys have never used any of your woodworking tools/saws for other purposes?...say, like butchering a deer or a hog?...just kidding.
                          Kidding aside, Grizzly does sell a selection of meat bandsaws. But those include devices to prevent blood and various pieces from getting carried into the machine and eventually stinking it up. I would not consider cutting meat on a wood bandsaw.

Woodworking tools can be used to cut plastics, and some metals - though you usually need to use special blades.

For round stock, you don't really need a V-block. Just take a flat piece - like a section of 2x4 - and clamp the round piece to it.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dale
                            Terry, I rememeber you posting about kickback from your bandsaw in another thread--something about you eventually deciding you were trying to make a cut that just shouldn't be done on a bandsaw. Was this what you were talking about?
                            Yep, that would be the one. In Duginske's book he mentions that kickback on a band saw is nearly impossible. Apparently I had to prove him correct by discovering the method in which it can be accomplished.

The best part is, it happened while I was making a fret-bending jig. I could have bought the jig pre-made for $20, but I figured I could make one out of scrap wood. Between the two new blades, replacement bearings and a couple of face bruises I spent over $50. My, aren't I thrifty?
                            Terry

Comment

• dale
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Mesa, AZ, USA.
                              • BTS-15

I'm just glad I get to learn from other people's mistakes before I have to repeat them myself. I never would have that about cutting a round piece of material on a bandsaw and having it fly into my face. Now I'll know. Similarly, I never would have thought to through a new bandsaw blade away from me after undoing the twisties so it wouldn't cut the snot out of me--I learned that here, too.

Now if I could just feel better long enough to finish up the "honey-dos" so I could get back in the garage long enough to tune up that new bandsaw and get rid of the vibration--I really want to make a bandsaw box!
                              I really am going to make something one of these days.

Comment

Working...