X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

Trim/palm router recommendation?

I read the review of trim/palm routers Taunton's Fine Woodworking 2006 tool guide, and I purchased the Bosch PR20EVSNK palm router based on their recommendation. I'm very disappointed. I've been through three of them, and they have problems with cracked alumiminum castings, plastic body scraped up, rust on the shaft, a flimsy case, and overall poor quality. I really like my Porter-Cable 890, and I'd buy their trim router if it were variable speed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a small trim/palm-held router?
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Wow, that's really surprising considering that this new Bosch model has gotten universal rave reviews. It's what I intended to buy, based on those reviews and a couple look-sees in Lowe's, but now I'm not so sure. If you got one bad one I'd consider it an anomaly but THREE?!? Hmm.

Anyway ... before I learned the new Bosch was coming, I had pretty much settled on the Ridgid R2400. It also has variable speed, feels good in the hand, sells for $100. Our own Tom Hintz has a review of it on his site:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...amtrimrvu.html
    Larry

Comment

• RickT
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

Thanks, Larry. I was surprised too. I have other Bosch tools, and they're great. I noticed the new Bosch palm router is made in Malaysia. I think I'll get the Ridgid.
      Thanks again,
      Rick

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Rick,
        I do not have a trim router stricktly speaking but I have a rotozip with dremel advantage plunge base. It does everything I want. Technical specifications for rotozip match exactly trim router specs.
        I am wondering about advantages of variable speed for trim router. Trim router does not take 1/2" shank, all the bits are supposed to be small. Why slow down a small bit? I bought an external speed controller from MLCS when I first got plunge base for rotozip. Tried it few times, it works but then I put it aside and don't use it anymore - I simply don't see advantages to it.
        If you want an official trim router - I have read good reviews about Trend trim router. I saw it at the show for around $90. I don't remember the model but I think Trend only sells one router on american market. It is a big name in UK but this is their first entry in USA.
        Last edited by vaking; 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM.
        Alex V

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

My vote is for the Ridgid.
          I have went through a Dewalt already and the Ridgid is far superior in every way. I have used the PC's in the past and they are work horses, but the Ridgid is as well and it easier to hold.
          I haven't used a Bosch trim router, but I have burned through the Bosch orbital sander that came with my jigsaw. Its not the switch, but its in the variable speed control circuitry. On ts behalf, I will say there is a heck of a lot of metal shavings flying around in my shop. I try to keep them blown out, but I was still surpriised that it didn't last a little longer. Can't complain too hard, because it was a freebie.
          Lee

Comment

• RickT
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003

Thanks again, guys, for the great input.

Hey Lee, I'm leaning toward the Ridgid. I read one drawback is that the top isn't flat, which prevents you from changing bits with the bottom facing up, and that a stop-block prevents you from removing the base, so you first have to remove the thumb knob and screw. Is that true? Are you able to change bits without removing the base? How well can you accurately adjust the bit height?
            Thanks again,
            Rick

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

Another vote for the Ridgid. I can't comment on any others since I haven't tried them but I've had my Ridgid for about a year and a half and have no complaints. Great fit and finish, love the soft start, case, accessories etc..etc... I use it more than my full size router for hand held applications.

Comment

• padboy
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2005
                • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

I have the Ryobi and the Ridgid. Both are excellent tools. The Ryobi does everything the Ridgid does but without the bells and whistles. The Ridgid is a very well made, solid tool which should give years of service.

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I just came across this post on another forum. Something to consider depending on what you are planning to do with the trim router. I haven't experience any problems related to this since most of the stuff I do with my ridgid is hand held applications such as round over, trimming.. etc. I have cut dados in the past without problems as well.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8281

After seeing this post I went out to the garage to check mine. I don't have any problems with the base height moving unless I tap the unit against the table with medium force.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I really like my Freud. It has a varible speed, soft start and I got the standart base, tilt base and the plunge base.

Very nice tool.

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Thanks for the warning KW. I actually almost bought one this morning but was running late for work. You saved me some grief. Thanks. Now I'm leaning towards the PC. Anybody have one of these and unhappy?
                      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...