Cordless drill recommendations? (One that will last)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I have two drills. A 14.4.4 de walt and a 9.6 makita. The makita is a little on the light side The De Walt does everything I need. The mekita gets used for drilling pilot holes and the De Walt for driving. I've had both for over 8 years and still using the orig batts. You know what my choice would be,
    Wayne
    Wayne J

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Another vote for Makita 14.4V

I bought a Makita 14.4V about two years ago. I liked it so well that I recently bought one of the matching drill driver/impact driver kits that HD closed out for $159. This was not out of concerns for my original drill, but to cut down on bit and switch changes when I'm drilling and driving at the same time.

WOOD Magazine (I think it was) tested a whole flock of 14.4V drill drivers about a year ago. I was happy to see (since I'd already owned my Makita for about a year, at that point) that mine scored squarely in the middle of the pack as an almost ideal compromise between torque and battery life.

Regardless of brand, make sure you get one with replacable brushes. I was going to buy one of the Ridgid 14.4V drill/drivers when HD put them on sale for $99, but changed my mind when I learned that the brushes can't be replaced.
      Larry

Comment

• JonW
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the info, folks. This is great.

-Jon

Comment

• da_biv
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2005
          • Indpls. Ind.

JonW "Opinions are like noses...everybody has one"
          So, here's mine. I'm in the trades and have had good luck with the 12V Porter Cable. I have had two in the past 10 yrs.
          The Charger died on the last one that I owned. But that, was totaly my fault.
          I replaced it with a 12v DeWalt. I don't think the battery charge last as long as the Porter Cable.
          Other than that, its size and weight are just right for what I do.
          (I still prefer the Porter Cable over the DeWalt )....IMHO...da_biv

Comment

• meika123
            • Dec 2002
            • Advance, NC, USA.
            • BT3000

IMHO-DeWalt. Had several for years. After being dropped on a concrete floor repeatedly, one is still going strong. The other is at my home, and is like new.

Dave in NC
            Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• hpark2
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

I have 2 18V cordless drills:

1. 18V Bosch (older kind with taller NIMH battery) which I got during woodworkers warehouse clearance for $99 about 4 yrs ago. FANTASTIC drill, can not say more. Very comfortable, really strong, built like a tank (Swiss made - I guess they make more than watches) survived drops, water spilled over it. A little heavy but what can I say, quality more than speaks for itself.

2. 18V Ryobi (got it as bundle with cordless circular saw) VERY good strength, CHEAP battery. However, for my smallish hand, after using it for a while, I do get blisters so it gets dings on that department. However, if you are strapped for cash, this is the way to go in my opinion.

If I had choice, I would get a small 12V or 9.6V cordless driver for driving those small bolts and screws and bring one of these babys for larger job that require more torque since using these for extended time is rather tiresome.

Comment

• thestinker
                • Oct 2005
                • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I have had a 14.4 dewalt 1/2 in chuck for about 5 yrs. 1 bat is starting to go bad, but other than that the drill works great. They have some new lith-ion ones by makitia and milliwalkey (sp??). They are mega expensive but boast some real nice advantages over traditional bateries. Good luck picking one out and let us know what you get.
                Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Last summer I got a GriZZly (my little Z went south) 18v cordless for something like $89. It uses Panasonic batteries, one came with it along with a good charger. I got a second battery for something like $40+-. I love the drill, it just plows thru stuff and has plenty of torque. The charge in the batteries seems to last and last. It is also a two speed. I also have a DeWalt 12v that, like someone else, just will not die; its 14 yrs old! But the batteries cost nearly $60 each!!!
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• lkazista
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Bosch!

I will throw my vote in for the 14.4 volt Bosch 'BRUTE' drill, it has more power and longer battery life than my 18volt Ryobi, and it weighs like 2 pounds less. I paid $120 last year at Lowes.

Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by os1kne
                      About 10 years ago, I bought a 9.6v Makita (pod type) that is still going strong. Best $ that I've ever spent. I've been tempted to upgrade to an 18v, but I can't really justify the cost - when I need more power I use my corded.

Whatever you do, go with a good cordless drill - you will use it more often than you expect. you may want to factor that into your decision for battery/charger compatibility.

Good luck!
                      I have two 9.6v Makita's. I received one in 92 as a housewarming gift. And the second one in 95 when a friend upgraded to a cordless hammer drill. They are still going strong, and I have only replaced one battery after dropping it off a roof. I recently needed something heavier, that I couldn't reach with a cord, and bought a Ridgid Impact driver. If it's just for screws and bolts, I strongly recommend an impact. I have access to at least two more 9.6v Makita's (new never used, deceased friend had 3), my fathers 12v Bosch, and my B-i-l's 18v Dewalt. (have tried other brands not listed). You need to figure out the type of projects you do. I like a lighter one for overhead stuff, and woodworking, but still use corded drills all the time. If I was in the market for a new one, I would be looking at both battery interchangability, and a kit (like Makita's drill, impact and light combo). The only other thing is how available are replacement batteries.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

My vote for the Ryobi 18v

I have four, including the 3-speed hammer drill and the right-angle drill. I've had my oldest one for four years now, with no issues at all. My drills are used by my students all day every day, and they are NEVER babied.

Besides the fact that they've done a good job, you get a lot of tool for the money, and extra batteries are relatively inexpensive ($35 for a two-pack as I recall).

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

One of the earlier comments stated that the brushes on the Ridgid models were not replaceable. For the record, this is true because Ridgid uses a sealed motor assembly in these particular tools. However, under the "free" lifetime service agreement this is replaceable by the service center at no charge to the owner.

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jAngiel
                            • Oct 2003
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I also have the ryobi 18v drill. Has worked perfectly for the last 3 years. It has been dropped numerous times from the top of a ladder onto concrete and still hasn't failed yet. It may not be the "best in the world" but I have never regretted it, way better that the Skil one I had before it. The panasonics and dewalts may be better but they also cost a lot more. I prefer "good tools cheap" rather than "better tools for a premium price".
                            James

Comment

• amorant
                              Handtools only
                              • Nov 2005
                              • houston, tx.

i have a dewalt and a ridgid 18 volt...got the ridgid,because it was on sale for 99 bucks the day after thanxgiving...have had the dewalt for i think 3 years now, i use it everyday,looks like it has been run over by a dump truck, but it is still strong and works great.....also i love the ridgid, great drill,lotsa power, but i cant comment on the durability of it, havent had it that long

Comment

• retired wrench
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Jan 2005
                                • grantsville, W V, USA.
                                • BT 3100-1

I bought the makita 14.4 volt kit, w/ the drill, ID, and light, two batts, and charger,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its wonderful,,,,,,,,,,That Impact Driver really kicks A$$.. would never be without it now, keep the drill for drilling,,,,,,,,,then reach for the ID<,,,, man, what a kit...........Love it........

Comment

Working...