• Show
Clear All
  • venkatbo
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Your WW library

All,

What books would you like to have in your WW library :?)

Some (borrowing from others' list too :-) that I have and would like to have, include:
    1. Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Using Woodworking Tools (Complete Illustrated Guide) - by Lonnie Bird
    2. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction - by Andy Rae
    3. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery - by Gary Rogowski
    4. Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing (Complete Illustrated Guide) - by Jeff Jewitt, Susan Jewitt
    5. The Complete Table Saw Book - Tom Carpenter
    6. The Best Jigs and Fixtures for Your Woodshop: 30 Projects That Provide Clever Solutions to Common Problems
    7. Woodworking with the Router : Revised & UpdatedProfessional Router Techniques and Jigs Any Woodworker Can Use - by Bill Hylton
    8. Bill Hyltons Frame & Panel Magic (Popular Woodworking) - by Bill Hylton
    /venkat
    Last edited by venkatbo; 03-10-2006, 08:38 PM.
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

I need so many books I wouldn't know where to start. I find it hard to part with dollars when I need so many more tools and accessories, etc, etc and etc.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

You know, I honestly don't have that many books. I've learned from people, from videos, and from the fire of experience. I have maybe 2 books, and they are books of plans for things that I've never built. There is so much free information out there that a book would have to be pretty darned good to earn my cash.

Having said that, I'm sure that there are great books available, of which I am unaware, but I've found woodworking (to my level of experience) to be mostly intuitive.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Books, I love 'em!

My basic phylosophy is to buy a book, if I plan to get the Tool that is being discussed, IOW, if I'm looking to buy a Router, I'll go get a GOOD book on Routers and read it, cover to cover before I go anywhere near that particular tool in a buying mood.

I have books on Table Saws, Routers, Drill Presses, Biscuit Joiners, Sanding Tools, Several books on Joinery and Several on Jigs and Fixtures.

I guess you could say that I'm a "Book Freak", as well as a Woodworker.

When I moved from Fort Wayne Indiana in 1990, I had over 2000 pounds of books to be moved and I hadn't even started Woodworking at the time.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• siloamga
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2003
          • Siloam, Georgia
          • BT3100

I remembered that somewhere in the past I had gone through all the posts on BT3 and consolidated all the book titles mentioned on BT3 into one post. Thankfully, all the old posts are still around...way to go Sam!

So, live from 2004...here is a link to my old thread...

Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

I've been watching yard sales and library sales over the years and I have found many of these books. I really like the Bird book on Bandsaws and Flexner's book on finishing.

Hope this helps!

Keith
          I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977).

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I really don't have that many, maybe two, that I picked up years ago, when I knew I would eventually get into woodworking. I asked about the woodworking book club, but thanks to this forum, I spend less on books, and more on tools, and photocopies for ideas at the library.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JonW
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by siloamga
              I remembered that somewhere in the past I had gone through all the posts on BT3 and consolidated all the book titles mentioned on BT3 into one post. Thankfully, all the old posts are still around...way to go Sam!

So, live from 2004...here is a link to my old thread...

Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

I've been watching yard sales and library sales over the years and I have found many of these books. I really like the Bird book on Bandsaws and Flexner's book on finishing.

Hope this helps!

Keith
              Super post! Thanks. I'm looking for some books that will have ideas for projects that I can try, as a newbie to this all. That gives me some places to look.

Comment

• gmack5
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by JonW
                Super post! Thanks. I'm looking for some books that will have ideas for projects that I can try, as a newbie to this all. That gives me some places to look.
                Jon, try looking here.
                This is a list of FREE WW Plans, alphabitized AND listed by catagory.

They're down towards the bottom of the page.

Be sure you give the site adequite time to load, there's an awful lot of information on the site.
                Free woodworking plans and easy free woodworking projects added and updated every day. Use our RSS feed to keep up-to-date on the latest free woodworking information. Free search access too! Organized by topic in alphabetical order. We were the first organized database of free woodworking plans online. Today, we still work for you to continue providing the most up to date database. First time here? Read About Us (link at bottom of page). Free woodworking plans to build quilt racks, gun cabinets, patios,picnic tables, kids furniture, toys and thousands more for beginners and all skill levels.
                Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                George

Comment

• AlanJ
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Rochester, MN
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by lcm1947
                  I need so many books I wouldn't know where to start. I find it hard to part with dollars when I need so many more tools and accessories, etc, etc and etc.
                  You could do what I did.. Join the WW book club(woodworkersbookclub.com). They give you 3 books if you buy one for $10, plus shipping when you join, and then its the old game of a book of the month which you can always refuse. I got 4 books worth probably $100+ for less than $20. I expect to cancel my membership without buying another book. This month's BOM is Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing mentoned in Venkat's list - I think it was $8 off retail at $33 - but then you can get it on amazon for $24.
                  If you buy more than one book at a time it can be worthwhile (they have a buy one get one half price this month)- but after the initial freebies, it's not really worth it.
                  Alan

Comment

• venkatbo
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Nice pointers guys..

I was looking for info on safe operations and diff jigs to make operations safer and accurate/consistent. In absence of experienced ww buddies able/willing to take the time to teach, the 2nd best choice is these books...

Or, may be, bt3central members could contribute small video snippets of safe/proper operations of diff tools... and may be even things like doing 'accurate dovetail jointery'... Movings pictures are worth a 1000 words... Watching video snippets will ensure accuracy - not always possible with written explanations...

We can place it here at this site for newbies to view and learn from...
                    And better yet, bt3central can own the rights and sell to raise funds for the site... I'm willing to contribute a fair $hare towards such endeavors... Would knowledgeable folks have the time to make and share such video snippets...

Thanks,
                    /venkat

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

If you want to build furniture and work from exploded drawings to visualize how parts will fit togother then I highly recommend "Rodales Illustrated Cabinetmaking" - by Bill Hyton. Its 384 pages covers all types of furniture.

Comment

• monte
                        Forum Windbag
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                        • GI 50-185M

I have a couple that I received as gifts but I usually just go to the local library.
                        Monte (another darksider)
                        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Rob R
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • West, Michigan.

i go with the library route. many, many books. most you can read once, and put em away. i do like to collect non current magazines, great project ideas and what not. buy i buy VERY few of them.. that's money that could be spent on tools and more importantly, and often more costly--wood!!

Comment

• scorrpio
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I prefer to keep up my subscriptions to a number of magazines. (Fine Homebuilding, FWW, WOOD, Workbench) And I keep them all organized. They constantly print tips and techniques, and detailed descriptions of various projects from which to borrow design elements.

I have some books (like the Bandsaw Handbook) that focus on aspects not commonly found in magazines. In particular, proper powertool tuning. They run articles about sharpening handtools and such, but it looks like all projects start with powertools already fully set up.

Comment

Working...