Are there flush trim router bits smaller than 1/2" diameter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

gjat- I'm not totally following your description. Sorry.

just4funsies- Yeah, I had thought about that. Hmmm... At the moment, I'm favoring trying out scorrpio's jig.

LCHIEN- Interesting idea about the piece of metal or plastic. That could solve the problem and all it would take is a piece of plastic or whatever...

Comment

• softop41
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Plainfield, IL, USA.
      • BT3100-1

dado cutting

I have the Accurate Woodworking dado jig and LOVE it! I have the Holbren undersize plywood bits and they are good. But, invariably, what you need a nice, tight-fitting dado isn't exactly what ANY routher bit can cut by itself. If the stock matches one of Brian's (Holbren) bits, great; but if not, the other one allows ou to use the wood you have and still get a good dado
      We just never have enough tools; they all have some little knitch the they fit better than any other tool. Is technology and ingenuity great or what?
      HTH,
      Jerry
      Jerry
      Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

OOps!

Originally posted by LarryG
        First of all, nitpicking ... most people consider a "flush trim" bit to have the bearing on the bottom. One with the bearing on top is usually called a "pattern maker's" or "template" bit or (imagine this) "top bearing" bit. You will see both types lumped together in catalogs but these terms will likely result in less chance of confusion with a vendor.
        "Pattern maker's" implies something used to make a pattern. There are "pattern maker's" vises, files, and rasps, but a search of several router bit lists show no "pattern maker's" bits.

A top mounted straight cutting bit is also called a "pattern" bit or a "template" bit; I have also seen them listed as plunge cutting flush trim bits.

Unless "pattern maker's" is a regional term that is popular in your region. Like the difference between pop, soda, coke, and soft drink.

Without a dado blade set I'd use first a straight bit the same size as the shelf if I had one or second two guide boards equally spaced and a straight cutter and template bushing.
        If you dont have a template guide bushing you can space your boards wide enough to leave a gap and just use your routers base to locate the dado.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No oops; I've just heard something you haven't.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          "Pattern maker's" implies something used to make a pattern.
          I've heard them called pattern bits, pattern cutting bits, pattern maker's bits, template bits, template cutting bits, top-bearing bits, and probably more. Whatever. The essential point was, and remains, that when most people hear "flush trim," they assume a bottom bearing.
          Larry

Comment

Working...