• Show
Clear All
  • Zbart
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Lansing, MI
    • BT3100

Bessey K-Body Clamps

I have been looking at the Bessey K-Body Clamps. What would be the advantage of a 50" clamp as opposed to a 40" clamp? Obviously "one is longer than the other", but there is a pretty small price difference between the two. Would it be better to go with the 50" clamp with the idea that you can always make the clamp smaller?

Thanks,

Scott
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

In my experience, it's nice to have a clamp that's not too big for the job, just for ease of use. I recently bought a number of 12" clamps just for that reason, and it's nice not bumping into clamp bars when I'm only face-gluing a couple pieces of 3/4" stock.

That being said, you might want to go one size up from what you think you'll use most, just so you have the extra capacity when you need it.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Zbart
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • Lansing, MI
      • BT3100

That is what i figured. Let's say you were going to buy 8 clamps, would you be better served to buy 4 pairs of differect sizes, or 2 sets of 2 different sizes?

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I agree with Tom. You don't want to cut things TOO fine, because then you will need to buy still more clamps to cover all the possibilities, but having WAY too much bar sticking out is a pain.

On your second question (eight of one size, or four each of two sizes), the only answer is to be sure you are well covered on the size you need most. Because despite what I say above, the most aggravating thing of all is to not have clamps long enough to do the job at hand. If you're going to err, err on the side of having clamps that are too long.

If it helps ... and bear in mind that this is just my experience and that YMMV ... although most mfrs offer clamps in 6" increments, I find that once you get past the 12" size, 12" increments are fine. Here's why: when a clamp is opened to somewhere near its maximum capacity, the handle sticks out past the end of the bar itself. An 18" clamp opened to 15"-18" will be about 21"-24" long, measured from the top of the fixed head to the end of the handle. A 24" clamp opened to the same 15" to 18" range will be about 26" long, measured from the top of the fixed head to the end of the bar. Not much of a difference, especially as you get closer to the shorter clamp's maximum opening. So while there is obviously a lot of potential for overlap and exceptions based on the size and type of projects one does, I would skip the 18" size and buy more 24s; skip the 30" size and buy more 36s; etc.
        Last edited by LarryG; 02-23-2006, 12:01 PM.
        Larry

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I find I use clamps in fours more often than in pairs - depends on what projects you mainly work on, I suppose. My sets are 6, 4, 6 and 6 per size, but they were bought that way because of the deals I was able to strike.

I'd go for 2 x 4 rather than 4 x 2.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Not saying that I disagree

IMHO 50" Besseys are far more usefull than the 40". At least for me and the projects that I do. If your projects are smaller then the 50" size could be too much.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              IMHO 50" Besseys are far more usefull than the 40". At least for me and the projects that I do. If your projects are smaller then the 50" size could be too much.
              Absolutely agree with this. I actually find 40" to be the more impractical size. I like 50's and 31's. Course there are BESSEY24 code 24's that get used a lot too!

Oh ya, I think everyone would agree that the cabinet kits with the support blocks is the most economical way to pick up 24s, 40s and 50s. Especially on Amazon with a discount of 20% or so.

Edit : On weight issue : 40" = 6.8 lbs and 50" = 7.7 lbs. 15 oz is not a lot when you are talking about clamping items over your 24" clamp capacity (ie items between 24" and 50").
              Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 02-24-2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• meika123
                • Dec 2002
                • Advance, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

Bessey clamps

Quite frankly, I would love to have that problem. What size "BESSEY CLAMPS" to buy. Wouldn't life be grand.

Dave in NC
                Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• bigsteel15
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Edmonton, AB
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Zbart
                  That is what i figured. Let's say you were going to buy 8 clamps, would you be better served to buy 4 pairs of differect sizes, or 2 sets of 2 different sizes?
                  If you can wait, Lee Valley and others always have incredible sales on the 4 piece sets in the summer.
                  They are usually about 40% off the regular price.
                  Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                  Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...