• Show
Clear All
  • scoter99
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Summerville, SC
    • BT-3100

Squaring a panel

Is there a way to square up a panel, say 18 by 26, using just the tablesaw? I have some scrap wood which is not square that I would like to use for a new project. I currently use a circular saw with a guide to square up one side then put that side against the rip fence to square the other sides. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it all on the tablesaw.
    Measure once...cut a whole bunch of times!

I'm with the govt, we're here to help.
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

You can use the same trick on the TS. Attach a straight piece to your panel to ride against the rip fence.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

You can do it by ripping the edges and then squaring the ends with a cross cut sled very easily.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Along the lines of what Mike said, I use a Clamp-n-Guide clamped to the workpiece like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Square Up.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	778976

You have to cut off the "ears" of the adjustable piece, but that's no real loss.

I use the 24" and 48" models for this purpose.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

Check out the Joint'R Clamp Kit http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6415 I use it to square up lumber and it should work fine with panels.

John Hunter

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

If it is a large panel, I would clamp a straight edge to it, turn it over, and let the straight edge ride the left side of the table along the table edge. After the first cut, use the fence for the next three. This method will only work if the clamped panel is wide enough for the straight edge to hang over the saw table.
            ________
            BUBBLER PIPE
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• scoter99
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • Summerville, SC
              • BT-3100

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!! I knew there was a way to do it all on the tablesaw. My friend and I were discussing it and we never thought of clamping a straight-edge to the piece. You learn something new every day. I love woodworking!
              Measure once...cut a whole bunch of times!

I'm with the govt, we're here to help.

Comment

• tribalwind
                • Feb 2004
                • long island, ny.

I'm about to have a similar dilema with some artist panels i need to make .
                theyre masonite backed with a cedar frame.
                after glueing up i like to take 1/16" or so off each edge to remove squeeze-out and have a nice flush crisp edge.
                problem is i dont have long extension rails like some here, and this time the panels are 3'x5' !!
                i guess i'll have to use circ.saw with a straight edge guide?
                anyone have a way for ripping 1/8" or less against the fence? the edges are square enough ,just need to be cleaned flush..
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tribalwind; 02-24-2006, 03:17 PM.
                namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN

Do you have a router? I keep a 4', 6', and 8' long melamine covered shelf boards around for this kind of thing. Clamp the shelfboard on top, and guide the baseplate of the router, or clamp it underneath and use a flushcut bit.

That's one way to joint long stock, too.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• gmack5
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by newbie2wood
                    If it is a large panel, I would clamp a straight edge to it, turn it over, and let the straight edge ride the left side of the table along the table edge. After the first cut, use the fence for the next three. This method will only work if the clamped panel is wide enough for the straight edge to hang over the saw table.
                    That would work really great, IF you had some guarentee that the edge was parallel to the Saw Blade, which is NOT the case with the BT3X00 Table Saws.

Either clamping or Screwing a straight edge to the edge that rides against the Rip Fence (parallel to the Saw Blade) should work, just clamp/screw it to the bottom side, then run it thru up-side-down, so the screw holes won't show on your finished work piece.
                    Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                    George

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A temporary straightedge can also be attached with double-stick tape. Slap a couple 4" long strips of that stuff on there and that straightedge ain't going NOWHERE.

(Sidebar to those who have not yet discovered the joys of double-stick tape in a woodshop: get yourself a roll. A BIG roll. Today.)
                      Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by LarryG
                        A temporary straightedge can also be attached with double-stick tape. Slap a couple 4" long strips of that stuff on there and that straightedge ain't going NOWHERE.

(Sidebar to those who have not yet discovered the joys of double-stick tape in a woodshop: get yourself a roll. A BIG roll. Today.)
                        What Larry said, in spades!

Before I got a clamp-n-guide, I used to just double-sticky-tape a framing square onto the panel, and let the edge of the square ride the fence.

Look for the stuff sold as carpet or rug tape. Not the stuff carpet installers use to join carpets, but the stuff for holding a rug in place on the floor.

Regards,
                        Tom

Comment

• tribalwind
                          • Feb 2004
                          • long island, ny.

thanks tom!
                          duh, why'd i didnt think of using a flushtrim bit

actually if i dont do that i might use this nifty idea i found in the 1'st issue of shopnotes(i found pdf's of ever issue)

they made a jointer out of the tablesaw by attaching a sacrificial fence,flush into the right-side of the blade,then adding a 1/8" masonite "outfeed table" into the backside of the blade,just past center.
                          i'd just post the pic of it from the pdf but didnt think it would be kosher here.

seems like it'll work perfectly as it gives a big flat surface(the tabletop) for the panel to lay flat on
                          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• Popeye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Woodbine, Ga
                            • Grizzly 1023SL

Well, if you have a BT with an SMT that's accurate, (mine is) you can turn it around and use it as a crosscut sled. I square 18" panels that way all the time. Pat
                            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...