X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

6" or 8" Dado

Can an 8" dado stacked set be used on the bt3000 okay, or would a 6" be better?

Other than price and cut depth is there any differece? Does the mass of an 8" take ot much to spin?

thanks for any input!!!
  • Larry David
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Maryland.

Originally posted by jessrice
    Can an 8" dado stacked set be used on the bt3000 okay, or would a 6" be better?

Other than price and cut depth is there any differece? Does the mass of an 8" take ot much to spin?

thanks for any input!!!
    I am about as new to this table saw as they get but it has been recommened by users as well as Ryobi I believe to use a 6" dado stack on the BT3100.

Comment

• just4funsies
      • Dec 2005
      • Florida.
      • BT3000

Some 8" stack dados have clearance problems in the BT's, particularly with certain widths and/or washer configurations. Others work just fine. I guess the point should be that it really doesn't require an 8" set to cut most dados, unless you're trying to dig the Grand Canyon, or your saw won't crank up to max. height any more. Then I suppose you might have a problem.
      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I think there can be blade-shroud clearance problems with some 8" sets. The only reason to go larger than 6" would be if you need to cut grooves deeper than that size can do. For woodworkering projects, that would be a rarity.

A 6" set will be cheaper, too.
        Larry

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

I use a 8" Oldham set bought at Home Depot with know problems other than depth of dado. I have cut cut 1 1/4" deep and that was about the max before interfernce problems started.
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jbalders
            Established Member
            • Oct 2003
            • Vienna, VA, USA.
            • BT3100 + Shopsmith

I have a Freud SD208, and I can vouch for the clearance issues. I have to be very careful to make sure the blade still clears the shroud (back, bottom, right when facing the front of the saw) and spins freely. The best way to make it work is to leave the smaller bushing on the arbor. It's been a while since I've used it, but I think I'm limited to exactly 3/4" too. Any wider and the outer blade would be sitting on the threaded portion of the arbor.

You also can't raise it up too far, using the Ryobi dado throat plate.

If I didn't already have the SD208, I probably would have gotten an SD206 instead.

Jeff
            Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• RmeDad
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Scottsdale, AZ
              • BT3100-1

Just picked up a Freud SD206 on Amazon with the "special" deal for $4.99 shipped free!
              Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I would buy either the Freud "Pro" set or the Avenger set in 6 inch diameter. I have the Freud and it works well. I have also used a 8 inch set on my BT3100 and it worked OK but no better than a 6 inch set. You could have clearance problems with a 8 inch as others report. The 8 inch also costs a little more. There is no advantage in a practical sense. A six inch will cut about an inch and a half deep on the BT3100 which should be more than enough.

Jim

Comment

Working...