• Show
Clear All
  • kw
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Vero Beach, FL, USA.

Another BT3100 Question?

Hi Everyone,

I have another BT3100 question. I have heard/read that the BT will lose its alignment if moved often ... is this true? My workshop is the garage so I would have to frequently move the saw to use the garage for other purposes. I am just worried that I may spend more time aligning the saw rather than "woodworking". Am I just paranoid? Any input would be appreciated.

kw
  • kw
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Vero Beach, FL, USA.

Well, I have another question while I am at it. If I buy the BT3100 what set-up tools would you experienced BT owners recommend for me to buy in order to achieve the most accurate alignment possible?

kw

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
      • May 2003
      • Orlando, FL, USA.
      • BT3000

KW:

I'm sure that you will enjoy what every brand of table saw you decide to purchase. All have strong points and weak points. You can drive yourself silly trying to find the "perfect" saw at the perfect price. I am happy with my BT3000 that I bought ten years ago.

I don't move my saw very much, so I can't give you a reliable answer re: alignment when moving the saw.

But I can give you my suggestions for tools to accurately align your saw:
      1) a scrap of 1x3
      2) a couple of standard metal magnets
      3) a 16d nail
      4) a 2"x2"x1" cube
      5) a 1' x 1' piece of plywood / masonite / etc.
      I don't know if any other saw can be aligned with such simple "tools."

Here is my method of aligning the rip fence and sliding miter table:

The site includes a good description of the 5-cut method of aligning the miter fence.

And no other saw is supported by a website as helpful and friendly as the BT3K and BT3Central.

- Lonnie
      OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

If you put the bt on a mobile base, and don't knock it around while moving it too much, I don't think that you'll have that big of a problem. I also don't really move mine though, so that statement is from collective statements made by those on the forum who do move theirs around.

I align mine every few months, or I should say, I check my alignment. More often than not, it's still good to go. I've only have to align the rip fence once since I got the saw, and that was when I moved it from house to house, it was barely off.

The SMT is a different story. I don't use it that often, as I've got a Makita sliding miter saw, but since I needed a wider cut, I aligned it about 2 months ago, and it's still dead on.

Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I have a BT3000 that is set up with pipe handles and casters on one end. gets moved wheelbarrow style everytime it is used. No alignment issues.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Salty
            • Feb 2006
            • Akron, Ohio

Well, I just got done putting mine together and I realize that it has always been the first reaction to grab the rails to move a saw. It's the most convienent, and only, hande. But I'd advise against it. Some old saw used to have heavy steel tubes for the rails and while it wasn't a good idea then either, it can bend the rails, even ever so slightly. I plan to put a mobile base under mine as soon as possible. Till then I'll hold onto the center section and walk it around.....gently!
            I lie Pappy's idea of pipe handles.
            Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

quote:Originally posted by jxyoung

Craftsman micro torque wrench $26 off. Now $48. 9/16 to 9/18
              I would consider something else.
              These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• kmk
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • .Portland, Oregon
                • BT3100-1

These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Like Pappy; first thing I did when I got my BT3 5 yrs ago was to fit pipe handles and the wheel castors. Never have had any problems in moving it re: alignment. I do a realignment every 3 or 4 months when I am out of currant projects and don't want to get bored!
                    RuffSawn
                    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• jdschulteis
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I think that the people who have complained about the BT3 not holding alignment had damaged or defective saws. If they had come here and asked, the resident experts might have been able to help them out. There are just too many others who say they move their saw around all the time without problems.

I don't move mine around much, but when I do, it seems to stay aligned. I do take the rip fence and SMT on and off quite a bit and everything seems to stay squared up.
                      Jerry

Comment

Working...