• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

A good blade for MDF according to DeWalt

Well according to DeWalt anyway they suggested thier DW7640 50 tooth combination blade. I was a bit suprised as I was always under the impression that a high toothed blade was best. Well, live and learn. Just thought I'd past this info on in case you're interested. Hmmm, just had a thought. With the 50 tooth blade in mind for MDF I bet my original table saw blade would be pretty decent for it also. In another thread I believe several of you actually hinted at that so you were right. I will give it a try.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

I have heard great things about Dewalt blades. At the woodworking show, the guy was re-sawing maple with a 50-tooth combo, and stopped, and there was no buring, but the cut was a smooth as silk.
    Alex

Comment

• lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

I know the one DeWalt blade I have which came with my DeWalt miter saw I bought sure is a great blade but I figure all miter saw blades cut great. I may just try this one though to see what it's like.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have a 50 tooth DeWalt that is my backup for when the Freud 50 tooth is off being sharpened. Both have 40 ATB teeth and 10 rakers. I think the Freud is a little better but the DeWalt is good.

MDF is pretty easy to cut, however. The stock blade should be fully adequate. Dust collection is more challenged than cutting with MDF.

Jim

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

Hey Jim thanks for the info. May I ask the model of your Freud? I was planning on getting the DeWalt but since you have both and think the Freud is better I may as well buy the better of the two. Yes, it appears that I was wrong about MDF better harder then plywood or hardwood. I just formulated that opinion for no real reason other then it just seemed harder to me. [:I]

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Mac,

I haven't been on for awhile so I did not see your question. I use a LU84 most of the time - full 1/8 width.

Jim

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

Yeah I haven't either Jim. Well thanks for the model. I'll try that blade.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I was always under the impression that MDF prompted rapid dulling and that a TCG grind would hold up best. I like some of the DeWalt blades, but would check with Freud or their rep CharlesM to get his input.

I'm sure my WWII would cut MDF really well, but I'd pass the task along to a lesser blade or at least a blade I didn't rely on for my critical wood cuts.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

Yeah you are right about the TCG blades being better for MDF but I just hate having to change blades all the time so am trying to get a good combination blade and live with it. I don't do that much anyway so I'm hoping a combination blade will last me a while. I already have the original blade ( Freud 36 teeth ) so while one is being sharpened I'll still have a combination blade to use. Yeah it would be nice to change blades for each material but I'm way to lazy for that and it seems you are always just cutting a little of this and a little of that, etc, etc.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by lcm1947
                    Yeah you are right about the TCG blades being better for MDF but I just hate having to change blades all the time so am trying to get a good combination blade and live with it. I don't do that much anyway so I'm hoping a combination blade will last me a while. I already have the original blade ( Freud 36 teeth ) so while one is being sharpened I'll still have a combination blade to use. Yeah it would be nice to change blades for each material but I'm way to lazy for that and it seems you are always just cutting a little of this and a little of that, etc, etc.
                    Just a thought....a good compromise that might be really handy to have around anyway is something like the 30T glueline rip blades. The Freud LM74 has TCG teeth, will come in handy for ripping and still has a decently clean cut.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Thanks again Dustmight. Appreciate the suggestion and that 30T blade sounds like it normally would be good for a combination blade but I hardly ever rip anything, well at least what I consider ripping is anyway, it's mostly with material such as plywood, a much smaller amount of MDF and a very very little hard or softwood. Most of the actual hard/softwood I do is on the chopsaw cause it's mostly narrow stuff like 1x4's, 1x2's etc so I'm really looking for a good plywood and occasionaly MDF blade so the 50T are sounding like they would be the best for me but I do appreciate you trying to help.

Comment

Working...