Resource Book for Cabinets

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Augmont
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • 11
    • .

    #1

    Resource Book for Cabinets

    I'm in search of an up-to-date cabinet making book with good illustrations and directions. I'm building a new house and i feel very confident in my skills that i can make good quality cabinets (trying to save costs too). I've made mainly furniture (entertainment center, sofa, chairs, etc.) and I feel the leap would not be that big. If i'm wrong, please let me know since i never made them before.

    Your help is greatly apprecited.
  • venkatbo
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 243
    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

    #2
    May want to check threads similar to:
    http://bt3central.com/forum/topic.as...0&SearchTerms=,

    /venkat

    Comment

    • sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 2873
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

      #3
      One examplt is Illustrated Cabinetmaking by Bill Hylton, ISBN 0-7621-0183-0.
      _________________________
      "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

      Comment

      • cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 2812
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

        #4
        I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but check out Taunton Press. Their books are top-notch, with great photos and illustrations. http://www.taunton.com/woodworking/

        Also, there is a good woodworker's book club that has many discounted selections. I like it because you can pick up a handful of books for next to nothing, when you join... and there is no short-term obligation. www.woodworkersbookclub.com

        I hope this helps,

        CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

        Comment

        • Rooftree

          #5
          Augmont,

          I have three cabinet making books that I like. I haven't yet made anything from them, but they all have something good to offer. Here's a quick summary.

          "Build Your Own Cabinets", Danny Proulx, Popular Woodworking Books
          Focuses mostly on a modified frameless (European) style with face frames added. Thorough and very clear instructions with lots of photos. Looks like a very easy and good-looking method. I'm planning on building my kitchen cabinets by following this book.

          "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets", Jim Tolpin, Taunton Press
          The title is accurate since this book is geared towards building traditional face-frame cabinets. Good background information; discussion of more complicated joinery; helpful photos along with lots of sketches of techniques and jigs. This appears to be a more "furniture" approach to cabinet-making.

          "Quick & Easy Custom Cabinets", Anthony Guidice, Sterling Publishing
          A simplified approach to making biscuit-joined face frame cabinets. Jam-packed with photos and crystal clear explanations. The book walks you through every step in making a single cabinet. It does not deal much with the specifics of kitchen cabinets, but the method is easily adapted to kitchens. I'm a beginner so this book has been invaluable in educating me to the ways of good woodworking.

          Good luck!

          Comment

          • jdschulteis
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • 139
            • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            quote:Originally posted by Rooftree


            [. . .]

            "Quick & Easy Custom Cabinets", Anthony Guidice, Sterling Publishing
            A simplified approach to making biscuit-joined face frame cabinets. Jam-packed with photos and crystal clear explanations. The book walks you through every step in making a single cabinet. It does not deal much with the specifics of kitchen cabinets, but the method is easily adapted to kitchens. I'm a beginner so this book has been invaluable in educating me to the ways of good woodworking.

            Good luck!
            I also have "Quick & Easy Custom Cabinets". Not much on design, but it's loaded with photos, illustrations, and step-by-step instructions. The "quick & easy" relies on using biscuits and screws for the carcass joints. Screws are used in place of clamping during glue up. If you have clamps and time and don't want to plug screw holes in your cabinets, you can do that instead. The biscuit jointer is used such that all slots are cut referenced to the bottom; no need to adjust the fence (actually no need for the fence at all).
            Jerry

            Comment

            • Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • 3862
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

              #7
              I recommend this one as described above:
              "Build Your Own Cabinets", Danny Proulx, Popular Woodworking Books
              Focuses mostly on a modified frameless (European) style with face frames added. Thorough and very clear instructions with lots of photos. Looks like a very easy and good-looking method. I'm planning on building my kitchen cabinets by following this book.

              It has excellent easy to follow instructions with plenty of photos.
              Ken

              Comment

              Working...