first post for a newbie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VillageNut
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • 17
    • Hot Springs, AR, USA.

    #1

    first post for a newbie

    I've been lurking for a while and decided its time to jump in. I have read most every post and searched for many of the "getting started" ideas. I'll start with a little background. Grew up working in a sawmill for my dad. Pine Lumber only no hardwood or plywood. 2 uncle's and 1 cousin are building contractors/remodlers/general wood know-it-alls so I've been around wood most of my life. College sent me down the accounting road and am now a fuel tax auditor. The smell of sawdust is still in my blood and have I have reached a point in life where a little woodworking on the side is very appealing. Enough about me, I would like to know your ideas/opinions on a couple of things.

    1. Are your woodworking projects primarily for your own home or do you attempt to make a little extra cash by selling your stuff? Is woodworking a true hobby or more of an income producer?

    2. Recently purchased a compressor/nail/brad deal on amazon. Already own a circular saw. Plan to purchase a CMS or SCMS. I don't read much discussion about the GMC line of tools. The town where I live has a Lowes but no Home Depot. I drive about 40 miles one way to work and have a Home Depot across the street. My question is the about the 10 inch GMC SCMS at Lowes for $199. What do you know about it? Reviews seem pretty good.

    3. My main focus for woodworking would be mainly around the house type stuff, molding/shelves/maybe some furniture. Should I attempt to justify the extra dollars for a BT3100 over BTS15. I will be building a 12 x 16 building that will be a shop/storage area. Because of back problems(and space), I will have to get my sheet goods cut to 4 x 4 or smaller at the local stores. So BT3100 or BTS15.

    Thanks guys and look forward to many more post in the future!
  • Tim Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • 99
    • Bangor, Maine, USA.

    #2
    Well, it sounds like you're ready to get started. Welcome to the group. I think that most responses will be in favor of the 3100. It comes with a sturdy stand that you can put on a castor base (the Hurcu-lift for one) or build a mobile cabinet for (as I'm in process of doing now). There's very little it can't do compared to larger more expensive saws.

    That being said, if all you're going to do is cut the occaisional 2x4 or some 1x for trim work, etc. then the smaller BTS15 will do the trick. If you think you might want to do bigger projects in the future then the 3100 would be my choice.
    Tim

    Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

    Comment

    • MilDoc

      #3
      WW is a hobby only, stuff for the home (just ask my wife what's on her honey-do list!)

      I debated between the BT3100 and the BTS15 also and VERY glad I got the BT3100. Much more versatile. As Tim said, ask yourself what you really want to do. At first I thought I'd only be doing simple stuff. But just building shop cabinets, mobile bases, a recent assembly table, etc. - the BTS15 couldn't handle it well. I'd suggest that even if you don't need the larger capacity, you probably will at some point.

      I don't own and haven't used any GMC tools but they do seem to get good reviews. Again, you get what you pay for in added features for more $$$.

      Comment

      • WEG
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 298
        • Nahant, MA.

        #4
        Hi VillageNut;
        Welcome Aboard!
        As for a BT300 and the BRS15, there is "no comparison", OK, there is a comparison, but the BT3100 wins Much more saw and capabilities for the buck, IMHO of course... But there will be at least one more here to agree with me..com'on guys, start raising your hands and yelling here Seriously VillageNut (Jeez, now that sounds funny) whatever saw you pick, have fun, be careful and enjoy it and don't let this be your last input, we want to see and hear about what your doing! Gives us great ideas and another reason to get a new tool! (...but get the BT3100)
        WEG

        Comment

        • bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • 1227
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5

          Go with the BT3100.

          Mike

          "It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

          Comment

          • Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • 2417
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

            #6
            Welcome aboard, make sawdust, have fun, be safe, buy the 3100!!!
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

            "A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

            Comment

            • Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • 1914
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

              #7
              No no no. Don't buy the 3100...

              (wait for it)




































              Buy the bt3100-1, the new model which is sold at HD, not the bt3100. [)]
              Alex

              Comment

              • just4funsies
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 843
                • Florida.
                • BT3000

                #8
                Tough to earn much doing woodwork, unless you've got a production-type shop. But you'll have lots of neat stuff for your house, and to give as presents to friends and family. But the best part is being alone in your shop with your tools and your thoughts. It's a Zen kind of thing... (but try to hang on to all your fingers). Wear safety equipment, keep your tools clean and right, and don't get careless.
                ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

                Comment

                • Tom Hintz
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 549
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

                  #9
                  Welcome!
                  I love your screen name. Anyone with the self confidence to call themselves the VillageNut will do well around here!

                  There is lots of experience on this forum and lots of nice people to get info from. If you are like most of us, the project list will quickly grow far beyond the limitations you have in mind right now.
                  Have fun, but be safe first!
                  Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

                  Comment

                  • monte
                    ***** Windbag
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 5242
                    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                    • GI 50-185M

                    #10
                    Welcome to the group Kelly. I would recommend the BT3100 over the BTS15. The BT3100 is mush more versatile.
                    Monte (another darksider)
                    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

                    http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

                    Comment

                    • mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 4197
                      • SC, USA.

                      #11
                      Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it. My WW activities are mostly hobby and doing things for friends and family.
                      Ken aka "mater"

                      " People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

                      Ken's Den

                      Comment

                      • John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 2034
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

                        #12
                        Welcome aboard.
                        John Hunter

                        Comment

                        • jwaterdawg
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 656
                          • Washington, NC USA
                          • JET

                          #13
                          Welcome you crazy villagenut

                          Get the 3100. It makes the most economic sense. If you buy the 3100 now (there are various reported deals going, see what you might get) you have room to "expand". Meaning that if down the road you need / want to do something more (than what the BTS15 can do) you are set and do not need to retool. On the other hand if you buy the BTS15 now and down the road need more tool, you will have to go out and buy a second saw. And even if you can resell your BTS15 at a good price you are gonna lose out $ in the long run.
                          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

                          Comment

                          • Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 10490
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

                            #14
                            Welcome to the Asylum, Kelly!
                            Don, aka Pappy,

                            Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

                            Comment

                            • JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • 4187
                              • Lexington, SC.

                              #15
                              BT3100. Cummins will sell you a rebuilt one and if there are one nearby you can save money.

                              I do not do work for others although I get requests. I have plenty to do with my own stuff and stuff for my kids (who are in college and hopefully getting close to finishing). I like having stuff I made around and fortunately LOML agrees.

                              Jim

                              Comment

                              Working...