• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

I went to the library and checked out a few books. THe big huge one on joinery was probably the best. I forget who wrote it but there a whole set. Joinery,finishing, etc...Im sure most any book is a good start and Since these were expensive ones at B&N I went to check em out at library. I might buy it in the future. But LOWES wood selection sucks for this hobby. When I started last year That kept me from getting started faster. Once I found a woodcraft I have bought a LOT of lyptus. It's $5.02 a BF which aint cheap but there is almost zero waste. Once in a while there might be a tiny tiny knot or a small spit near the end and once in a while a couple dark streaks but best wood for the money to me. I liked working with walnut the most though. More expensive and a lot more sapwood though. Got a pice of cocobola sitting on the shelf which is the most expensive wood I have bought. Waiting for the perfect project idea. I bought it to make an ornament stand for a kinda big ceramic ball. But have yet to come up with a good idea. Well one but have to figure out how to actually make it.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Those are great links. Yeah, I'm overwhelmed now ! But it's good stuff. Thanks much.

What's the whitewood they sell at HD and Lowes ? Is that white pine ?

Loring -- what part of TX is Katy ? Houston area ?

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

• ssmith1627
        • Dec 2005
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe that last link answered my question:

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/poplar.htm

It shows whitewood as another name for yellow poplar.

Steve

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by ssmith1627

What's the whitewood they sell at HD and Lowes ? Is that white pine ?
          In the big-box stores, "whitewood" is a catch-all, non-species-specific term that could be pine, could be spruce, could be fir ... almost any kind of softwood, really, and usually it's the marginal stuff that wouldn't make good structural lumber (studs, joists, rafters, etc).

Oh, hey, that reminds me of a good tidbit of info to start your learning process with. What is softwood, what is hardwood? If the tree loses its leaves each year, it's hardwood. If it doesn't, it's softwood. It has nothing to do with how tough or dense the wood is; balsa, one of the lightest and most-easily worked woods, is actually a hardwood. Pretty simple, eh?
          Larry

Comment

• ssmith1627
            • Dec 2005
            • Corryton, TN, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Oh yeah, thanks.....that really helps. Thanks for stirring the pot. haha

Does make sense though and an easy way to remember it. Conifer vs. Angiosperm ?

I thought reading the wiring diagrams for integrated circuits was hard until I started trying to pick up on woodworking !

Steve

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Conifer vs. Angiosperm ?
              Evergreen vs. deciduous?
              JR

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by JR

Conifer vs. Angiosperm ?
                Evergreen vs. deciduous?
                I don't know about either of those, but I do know that "stalactite" rhymes with "ceiling" and "stalagmite" rhymes with "floor."
                Larry

Comment

Working...