are the big tools really necessary?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • 5636
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

    #16
    Muddler,

    I've managed to squeeze in floor tools for the most part. In your situation, it just doesn't look like you've got the room.

    So where does that leave you? Benchtop tools can still be fine quality, so it's not like your projects would end up crooked or something. You're just likely to be limited to somewhat smaller projects.

    For example, et's take a jointer. I don't know the reasonable lenght limit for using a bench-top jointer, let's say it's four feet. Well four feet is a pretty long stick on most furniture projects.

    So I'd go ahead a spec in bench top tools as much as you need to. Nobody, except other woodworkers, will have a clue there is even a difference. And even we will still appreciate the results in Fishished Projects.

    Good luck,
    JR

    anti-communist block warden
    JR

    Comment

    • scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 1566
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

      #17
      One way of getting the most out of smaller benchtops is building recesses for them. Mount the jointer or planer so its tables are about level with the rest of your worktable surface. Doing this greatly extends their capacity.

      Comment

      • Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 3822
        • York, PA, USA.
        • 22124

        #18
        quote:Originally posted by lcm1947

        It sounds like you'll be doing more or less the type and size of projects that I do so I think bench top tools would be fine as far as the BS and a drill press which is what I have and am very pleased with them for what I do. I do however have the 3100 and DeWalt chop saw which I couldn't live without but actually I could I'd just do a lot more belt sanding to square things up. I probably use my belt sander as much as any of my tools and couldn't do without it especially if I didn't have the TS and DeWalt. As far as planer or jointer I'll never have either due to space and no need as I'm happy using store bought wood and sheet goods. Actually I'm surprised at how little wood I work compared to sheet goods, like 1% to 99%. I really would like a 14" BS and may get one someday but I'll keep my 9" BS with a 1/8'blade for small projects if I do. That little sucker cuts like a dream and is so handy I'd miss it. Heck you could get by with hand tools if you had to but that's not much fun if you get my meaning. I guess to sum up I'd suggest you get the larger tools only if you have space. It'll get pretty old having to move everything around all the time every time. To me that could turn your fun hobby into a pain in the behind. I hate having to be the one to point this out but I just have to. One of the first things you should really think about buying is a DC. In that small space dust could and really will be a problem health reason wise with power tools that you use indoors. If you don't know about the health issues of saw dust please read up on it. Anyway, my 2 cents. Main thing is - enjoy building your shop. Later.
        Out of curosity, why would you want to move to a 14" Bandsaw? If you are not worried about resaw capacity (99% sheet and no use for a jointer or planer?)

        Comment

        • lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • 1490
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

          #19
          Jeff, you are right. There is no good reason other then the fact that I just have to have one. I'm sure it would be a waste of money and that's why I don't have one now but I sure would love to just have one in case I ever need it. So yeah - go figure. Actually I could have used it the other day now that I'm thinking about it. I had a 3 ft rod that I needed to cut in two so had to use my hand saw - yeah I know but you asked.
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

          Comment

          • Jim-Iowa
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2005
            • 769
            • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

            #20
            This I think is a question that many ponder often.
            While I don`t have quite the space limitations, I do have a cash flow issue. One tool I think I will need is a jointer to build the cabinets for a kitchen remodel.
            However am also trying to save for a stand alone shop to gt out of my garage. I have considered a benchtop and know its a compromise.
            But since few parts I have in the planning atages call for alength over 30" I think it would do.

            Sunday I picked up a Better Homes & Gardens "Best Shop Tips Ever" excerpted from Wood Magazine. It had a nice stand that allowed 2 benchtop machines on shelves and one on top in use.
            Looked good enough I`m gong to build it.
            Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

            Comment

            • Jim-Iowa
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2005
              • 769
              • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

              #21
              Well now I`m home and have to correct myself.
              The Magazine is "Best Ever Workshop Solutions"
              Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

              Comment

              • makuakane1
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • 8
                • Hilo,, Hi, USA.

                #22
                Muddler...Dustmight had a great suggestion for you in the Shopsmith. The 5 in one unit was what I was looking to buy because I have the same difficulty you have...space. Wife's new 2006 Subaru stays out side when the shop in in full operation. I chose the BT 3100 because of this site and the help, support and life on it and because for a 2 and one it is a serious saw and I had to get some cabinets finished for a remodel I was doing. I use collapsable saw horses to creat table top space for all other work and when I am pau (finished) recollapse the whole thing and let the Subaru back into it's nest. Of course my PU stays in the driveway until projects are pau. I am still considering the Shopsmith but not as nervously as I was two weeks ago. The deal I got on the BT3100 let me know that the master carpenter supported me having it. My realtor experience wanted me to suggest you get another house WITH a larger shop but what the heck!!

                Comment

                • Muddler Mike
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 31
                  • Syracuse, NY.

                  #23
                  it's funny you mentioned getting another house. I'm sure all of you will wince and choke on your coffee when I say this, but my wife and I just had our house ...um.....built....um....and custom at that. I know, I know - you all are saying "WHY?!?! you stupid, freekin' idiot - why didn't you have them make more space in your garage for your shop in the first place????? Well, it's because during the whole process, there was much give and take as to how we were going to have the house arranged based primarily on budget. Add to that my lack of experience in how a pair of small cars would fit into what I thought would be a very roomy garage and - as with a few other rooms as well - we found ourselves scratching our heads trying to figue out how we were going to set up our dream house with the limitations at hand. All in all, we have a very nice house with a ton of room compared to what we lived in before, but we are still forced to make due with what we got - unless I can get the permits from both the town and the wife for a 3rd bay on our garage, that is.

                  after looking at other WWers shops and the way many of you have had to cope with space limitations, I believe I have come up with a good plan of cabinets and workbenches on casters that will allow me to use the back 5.5ft x 9ft cubby in my garage as a basic and accessable workshop, and when I need to, to pull out the cars and set up the rolling workstations into the main part of the garage as a full blown shop. I'm working on one configuration that should accomodate a 12" drill press, a combo belt/disc sander, a 12" planer, a 6" bench top jointer, a lathe, and possibly up to a 14" band saw on a 2.5ft x 5ft rolling cabinet with dust collection hoses. I figure the TS and router table can be set up on another rolling cabinet that would nest under a workbench, and all of those could be moved out into the main part of the garage on casters. Of course, it will probably take a couple of years for me to reach that goal - mainly because I need to build a garden shed to get many of the garden tools, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. out of the way for the shop to take shape, but for now I plan to collect the tools needed - even if I don't have the space for them right now.

                  Muddler

                  Comment

                  • lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 1490
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

                    #24
                    Well you got a plan then Muddler and that's half the battle. So good luck and have fun as I know you will. And congrats on the new home. Be seeing you around I'm sure. Merry Christmas.
                    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

                    Comment

                    • JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 5636
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

                      #25
                      quote:Originally posted by Muddler Mike

                      - mainly because I need to build a garden shed to get many of the garden tools, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. out of the way for the shop to take shape, but for now I plan to collect the tools needed - even if I don't have the space for them right now.
                      That's the part that LOML doesn't understand. Garden tools need to be in a garden shed. The garage has a shop, room for two cars, and general purpose storage. There just is no room for rakes and shovels and chemicals and the like.

                      It's a constant conflict, but one on which I am ever vigilant!

                      JR
                      JR

                      Comment

                      • messmaker
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2004
                        • 1495
                        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                        • Ridgid 2424

                        #26
                        Hand tools, then power hand tools, then benchtop tools, then contractor tools, then cabinetmaker tools, then a full shop with no place to work which in turn forces the building of a larger shop with allows the purchase of still more tools.It goes on and on and on. Just enjoy the ride.
                        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

                        Comment

                        Working...