Any AutoCAD substitutes available?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 2553
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

    #1

    Any AutoCAD substitutes available?

    Most of us woodchucks don't need a full version, thousand dollar program for knocking together some plans for a project. It sure would be nice to have a program that made the allowances for joints, etc, and spit out some dimensions before I have that wonderful surprise that I cut something too short and I'm out of wood. Yea, I know. I'm supposed to plan - gottcha! Is there a reasonably priced ($50) program that can do this?
    TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 1566
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

    #2
    Google for 'Woodworking Software'. Foe example, I came across 'Cabinet Creator 3.25' for $49, and has a free trial. Then, there's Cabinet Cruncher also for $40-50, Then there's CutList Plus thats $30 for a light version, or $80 for a 'silver edition', than a whle lot more.

    Comment

    • BobSch
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 4385
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

      #3
      Or type CAD FREEWARE in Google and knock yourself out.

      If you don't mind paying a bit type CAD SHAREWARE instead.

      Bob

      Bad decisions make good stories.

      Comment

      • ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 2553
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

        #4
        I'm trying CAD Std Lite right now. My learning curves tend to be long. I was hoping for an experienced opinion on a particular program so if you folks have any info I'm definitely listening.
        Thanks again for the info. Sometimes I get brain constipation about the obvious (like search engines!!).
        Later,
        Chiz
        Blessings,
        Chiz

        Comment

        • gjat
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 686
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

          #5
          I'd go to PCWorld and look around there, then go to download.com and see what they got for free. If you can use a basic program, you will see if it's worth paying $$ for better.

          Comment

          • Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • 4301
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

            #6
            Turbo Cad version 9.2 is about $19.50 shipped on Ebay. It is a full blown cad package and can render some nice 3-d stuff too. That the one I'm learning and I'll never need to know all of it.
            Lee

            Comment

            • dlminehart
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • 1829
              • San Jose, CA, USA.

              #7
              Most of these really take days to learn . . . and you'll forget half of it in a week if you don't keep using it. One exception is Design Intuition on the Mac, aimed specifically at woodworkers. You can create a personal database of materials (e.g., 1/2" 4x8 plywood, 1"x4"x6' cherry), and it'll prepare cut lists and diagrams as you create your furniture or cabinet design. So far, there are no curves included, just 3D rectangles. But the entire program is 3D. PC version is on the way, I understand. Check out http://www.gizmolab.com/software/ for more info. It's not as cheap as Turbo Cad, but worth it once you factor in the ease of use and woodworking focus. (Full disclosure: I'm saving up to purchase my copy, having played with the demo and loved it.)

              Here's a sample image:


              - David

              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

              Comment

              • ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • 2553
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                #8
                That's more like what I'm looking for, David. Can you also get 2-D working drawings with dimensions from it? What is that pic called. orthographic? It does give you a nice feel for the relationship of the dimensions, though.
                Later
                Chiz
                Blessings,
                Chiz

                Comment

                • dlminehart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 1829
                  • San Jose, CA, USA.

                  #9
                  Here are a couple more images. One is the coffee table above, done in 2D plan view, with the measurements visible. On a separate window, you'll find the parts list, generated automatically as you draw. The second is a picture of a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired picnic table designed by a 7th grade class in Arizona.







                  I should emphasize that this program is REALLY easy to use. You can drag and draw rectangles after specifying the material (so it knows the thickness, for instance). Or you can select the object you've drawn, go to the appropriate place, and type in a dimension if you'd rather not fuss with the mouse. You can switch views from side to bottom to top or wherever, moving the parts into place. You can colorize different components different colors so the transparent 3D view makes more sense. Or you can do opaque 3D views, with more realism. You'll be working productively within an hour. If you have a Mac, download the demo.
                  - David

                  “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

                  Comment

                  • drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 3338
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

                    #10
                    I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but you can now download truespace 3.2 for free. It's a general 3D modelling and animation package, I use it to pre-visualize my projects. You can also use it to display dimention marks...

                    here's an example of something that I did a pre-vis for, choosing colors for my desk.

                    http://keith.getjazzed.net/house/Sho...Desk/desk.html

                    Here's a link to the free download.

                    http://forms.caligari.com/forms/ts3all_free.html

                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

                    Comment

                    • ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 2553
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                      #11
                      Keith, does this program produce the type of dimentioned drawing that David shows from his? I'll download it and check it out anyway but sometimes it takes a certain guy a week or so to sort out what a program can do.
                      Thanks for the help, folks!
                      Chiz
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

                      Comment

                      • ElRay
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • 367
                        • NoIL

                        #12
                        For the Mac Folks, there's also LemkeSoft's CADintosh: <http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/cadintosh.htm> If you don't already have GraphicConverter, get that while you're there too,

                        Ray
                        "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
                        --- Robert A. Heinlein

                        Comment

                        • BobSch
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 4385
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          quote:Originally posted by Stytooner

                          Turbo Cad version 9.2 is about $19.50 shipped on Ebay. It is a full blown cad package and can render some nice 3-d stuff too. That the one I'm learning and I'll never need to know all of it.
                          I use TurboCAD both at home and work. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it'll do just about anything you want.

                          Bob

                          Bad decisions make good stories.

                          Comment

                          • drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 3338
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

                            #14
                            Truespace does provide a dimentioning tool, but as I don't really use it, I'm not entirely familiar with all of its workings. I just reference the model when I'm building.

                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

                            Comment

                            • ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 2553
                              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                              #15
                              Hey, Keith, I downloaded Truespace so the race is on to learn it. I haven't gotten to investigate it much but I'm hoping that there's a tutorial to shorten the learning curve a bit. Unlike you, I will want the dimensioning feature since I'm prone to 'forgert certain allowances and then have to go back to resize some parts.
                              Later,
                              Chiz
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

                              Comment

                              Working...