Building a Cross-Cut Sled

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gjbivin
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • 141
    • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
    • BT3100

    #16
    quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller
    One good reason to use the miter slots is that with a single runner on the sled, you could have a "two kerf" sled. Use the right slot for 90 degree cuts, and the left slot for bevels.
    This is exactly the design I came up with.







    The accuracy should be OK with one runner if it is long enough, and if you remember to keep pressure against one side of the slot as you do the cut to reduce any "play". I've had good results with this sled so far.
    Gary J. Bivin
    Gilbert, AZ

    Comment

    • Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • 2507
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

      #17
      quote:Originally posted by JR

      quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller


      One good reason to use the miter slots is that with a single runner on the sled, you could have a "two kerf" sled. Use the right slot for 90 degree cuts, and the left slot for bevels.
      Well, aren't you the clever boy? I'd have stared at my two DMSTs for a hundred years and never thought of that.

      Thanks,
      JR
      Clever? Not so sure. I thought I remembered mentioning this idea before, and when I searched for the thread I realized that "scmhogg" (Steve) pretty much showed the idea (in practice, complete with pictures, no less) several posts above. I see now (in the old thread) that he was kind enough to point out his working version to me after my post.

      So, I'll take the award for brain-dead, and let Steve have the one for clever! [)]

      Edit: Looks like Gary gets an award, too. (The clever kind. )
      Regards,
      Tom

      Comment

      • jnesmith
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2003
        • 892
        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

        #18
        For my large sled, I use 2 runners. I built onother slot based on Rod Kirby's design.





        For a small miter sled, I use the 2 runners in the MST.

        [img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
        John

        Comment

        • kyle.w
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 425
          • paw paw, mi, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

          #19
          One way to do it is attach a runner so it just hugs the table on the right side. thats how mine are.

          Comment

          • Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 1766
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

            #20
            The sled I used had NO runners. Just 2 locating pins to registar it to the SMT.
            Click here for pics
            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

            Comment

            • gjat
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 686
              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
              • BT3100

              #21
              Jim,
              I like that alot. I could see using that basic design for many types of jigs and would give added stability to what ever you do. Basically, it extends the entire SMT closer to the blade. I'm going to look into doing this, but use formica on the bottom so it will slide better, though I can see that dust build up may be a problem and require frequent cleaning/checking.

              Comment

              • gary
                Senior Member
                • May 2004
                • 893
                • Versailles, KY, USA.

                #22
                quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller
                One good reason to use the miter slots is that with a single runner on the sled, you could have a "two kerf" sled. Use the right slot for 90 degree cuts, and the left slot for bevels.
                That is an excellent idea - I'm going to do that. I picked up a pair of 24" Incra miter bars for $15ea and I'm all ready to start this project when the weather breaks. I've miter slots on both sides of the blade so I can put a bar on each side of the blade and still do the left/right thing.

                Thanks for the idea
                Gary

                Comment

                • scmhogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 1839
                  • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000

                  #23
                  Chuck,

                  This is the one Jim was talking about.



                  If you look closely you can see a 90 and 45 kerf. One runner works fine.

                  Steve
                  I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

                  Comment

                  Working...