• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snook
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • newark, ohio.

i'm ready to buy$$$$$

I need opinions on planers (around $350-400$ range). I am leaning toward jet since I have a 10" contractor saw that I bought in 1987 and it has been a jewel of a saw. I can do with or without a stand. And while I’m at it, a biscuit jointer also (maybe around 100-120$). Tell me what you like and don’t like. Thanks guys………
    When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I have the Rigid 13" planer and love it. Having a locking height mechanism is a feature you should look for - not all planers have it.

Whichever one you choose, be sure to get the dust collection hood, which is optional on many of them.

JR
    JR

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

In your price range the Ridgid and the DeWalt DW734 planers would be high on my list. For the biscuit joiner, check out the Freud JS102.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I also own the Freud JS102 and like it a lot.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I also have the Ridgid and have nothing but praise for it.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My thickness planer is the Delta 22-580. Has a cutterhead lock, two speeds (which, the more I use it, I'm finding more and more a real benefit rather than a marketing gimmick, as I originally suspected), and hardly any snipe. I bought it for $229 during the Lowe's closeout sale last year but I'd still be happy with it even if I'd paid the full ~$360.

My plate joiner is the Porter-Cable 557. Excellent tool, but costs more than your stated price range. Maybe look for a refurb?
            Larry

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

snook, if you do decide to check out a reconditioned PC 557, make sure that the one being offered is a Type 3 model. Porter-Cable had some very minor design difficulties with the Type 1 and Type 2 models. The Type 3 has addressed and corrected those problems.

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

I have the Dewalt but just a heads up. They are about the same price and performance but the ridgid did come with a dust hood which is about $40 more but it is pretty and yellow.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Tool Fool
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2004

Hi Snook - I don't know if the Jet is good, bad, or indifferent b/c I hear very little about it...It's prolly fine. I do know that the DeWalts, the top 2 Deltas, Ridgid, and Makita dominate the market and all get raves and many favorable mag ratings. I'd find a deal you're happy with on one of those.

Also, I've got a DeWalt biscuit cutter I'm happy with, but gotta tell you, I use it less and less the more I do wwing. The only projects I've done in the past couple of years where I really thought using one would have been useful is for frames, which requires something more like PC557 at ~ $200.

Comment

Working...