• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Im A Little Petunia
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

T-Bolts and T-Nuts

Hi all:

I am getting ready to place an order for some Fixture blocks, knobs, t-bolts or T-nuts and have some questions. Is it better to buy the T-bolts or the T-nuts? I have plans now for just using them with Jigs. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference which one - nuts or bolts. I am leaning toward the T-bolts since the stud is attached to the bolt permanently. I can also see advantages in using the T-Nuts with separate studs too. What do you all recommend and why? I am also ordering a ZCTP and was wondering whether to get blue or red. I know color choice is up to me, but I am thinking more in terms of one color creating a glare with shop lights. Maybe neither color creates a glare at all. Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the colors? Thanks for any input you might have.
    Lynn
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

I think the color choice is totally personal preference - FWIW mine is clear...

I use both T-nuts and T-bolts - just depends on where you're using 'em. Buy a mixture - you'll soon see which works best for your designs. (Besides, Jeff needs the money! [)])
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2005

Scott, I agree about the 'color' being a personal choice for the ZCTP it was the 'glare' I was interested in finding info about - whether the colored ones do have a glare or if the color is dull enough to not have that issue a concern. I too would prefer a clear, but I didn't see any offered on Jeff's site - maybe I need to drop him a note and see if the clear ones are available before I order a colored one.
      Thanks,
      Lynn

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Because the material is like UHMW there is no glare.

I'd recommend the Red - from a safety point of view - a reminder to keep your fingers away.

From the Onion [)]
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• smc331
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Charlotte, NC, USA.
          • BT3100

Lynn,

Sorry 'bout that! I meant to say that it was a flat finish - another case of the brain being much faster than the fingers typing! [B)][)]
          Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2005

Thanks Rod. I checked with Jeff this afternoon and he said he didn't have the clear ZCTP, so I'm with you on the color - Red!

Scott, not to worry - I often am ahead of myself too! Great minds think alike - No?!!

Lynn

Comment

• jl
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2003
              • Nova Scotia, Canada.

T-nut or T-bolt?

When using a T-nut, the stub of the knob (male) has to be the exact length or slightly shorter. If too long it'll touch the bottom of the track.

When using a T-bolt the length of the bolt is less critical since if too long it'll just stick out the knob (female).

I use both, but when I have the choice I rather use a T-bolt.

Jean-Luc

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2005

"From the Onion [)]"

Oh my goodness Rod, how ever did I miss your signature - "From the Onion"? - Being a Petunia I was wondering how the "Onion Patch" I came from was doing!

Lynn

Comment

• Ed
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2005
                  • South Alabama, USA.

Well, as a beginner...THANKS, jl!

The difference between the use of these two items is simple....if you're aware of it This is something that a rank newbie like myself probably wouldn't know about, but something that experienced folks take for granted and really don't think about passing on to us newbies. Of course before I worry with T-bolts/nuts the first thing I've gotta do is break the straps on the BT3 box.

Thanks again for the explanation!!
                  Ed

quote:Originally posted by jl

T-nut or T-bolt?

When using a T-nut, the stub of the knob (male) has to be the exact length or slightly shorter. If too long it'll touch the bottom of the track.

When using a T-bolt the length of the bolt is less critical since if too long it'll just stick out the knob (female).

I use both, but when I have the choice I rather use a T-bolt.

Ed - South Alabama
                  Original \"Getting Started\" thread pertaining to my cabin: Shopping List for Remote Cabin Project
                  Direct link to the Cabin in the Swamp... construction website.

Comment

Working...