• Show
Clear All
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Dust collection hookup

In the process of setting up a new DC and in thinking about the wiring, is it best to run it on a seperate dedicated circuit. I currently have a dedicated 20 amp circuit that I plug all of the larger tools into, but don't think it could handle two major tools at the same time. How have others handled this??
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by jhart

In the process of setting up a new DC and in thinking about the wiring, is it best to run it on a seperate dedicated circuit.
    YES. Or at least on a circuit that only serves other minor loads, such as the shop radio or a battery charger. And you fershure don't want it on the same circuit as your lights ... the start-up current draw of even a moderate size DC, such as my 2HP HF, will darken your fluorescent lighting right quick.

I have my DC on the same circuit as my air compressor. If running at the same time, both of these would require their own circuit. I combined the two by wiring up a three-way switch with one leg going to an outlet for the DC and the other to an outlet for the AC, so that only one can run at a time depending on the position of the switch. The AC cycles on its own, as needed, so most of the time the switch acts simply as an on/off for the DC. That is, when the DC is off the AC is enabled, but it's hardly ever actually running. If the AC does happen to be running when I flip the switch, the AC shuts off and the DC comes on. When I'm finished making sawdust I flip the switch to shut off the DC and the AC is then able to start running again, should it need to.
    Larry

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

It is best to run it on a dedicated circuit if at all possible.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

It only cost about $20 and is easy to do if you have a sub-panel in your shop.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...