X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harris
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005

Blade Size

Is there inherently anything terribly wrong or dangerous about using a 10" blade in a table saw that can accomodate a 12" blade?

Presumably the only impact is you cannot make as deep a cut with a 10" blade as opposed to a 12" blade.

I have inherited an elderly Craftsman 12" TS that is probably older than I am. It has a 5/8" inch arbor and there seems to be relatively few 12" blades for a 5/8" arbor.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I can't think of a single reason why you couldn't use a 10" blade in the saw. People use 8" and 6" dado sets in saws that are designed for 10" blades all the time.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

The only reasons not to use a 10" blade are 1. If you work for a blade manufacturer and 2. If your going to believe it's going to give you more room to have your fingers around the blade (we had a salesman who THOUGHT this way).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Ideally you'd fit a throat plate sized for the smaller blade. Other than that minor point, I can't thing of a single reason not to, either.
        Larry

Comment

• ElRay
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • NoIL

One caveat. Some 12" saws have a larger arbor, so your 10" blade may not fit.

Ray
          "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
          --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

People use 8" and 7-1/4" blades on 10" saws and seem to work. What is the rotational speed of your saw? 12" saw might have it less than most 10" saws and then your 10" blade will be working at less rpm than it was optimally designed for. Should not be a big problem though.
            Alex V

Comment

Working...