This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JE

Bench Top Jointer

I am new to woodworking. I have a 3100 table saw and the 10 inch band saw. I also have a Frued Router and table along with the Ryobi planer and Tradesmen table top jointer.

Here is the queston. Will I be able to make to jointer work. My goal is to be able to build very modest kitchen cabnets.

Thanks,
    JE
  • Jim-Iowa
    • Mar 2005
    • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

An interesting question. I have been eyballing that jointer myself.
    As I recall it has extension rollers. I don`t yet own a jointer.
    My understanding is that the benchtops work fine so long as the project is not too big. No doubt it would be easier if you had a jointer with tables as large as an aircraft carrier. But then with a budget like that you could hire the job out
    My thinking is that Most cabinets rarely exceed 36" in height so with a little forethought it could be made to work.
    You might want to joint smaller sticks(rather than run 8ft+ boards through)?
    I know if thats what I had I would give it a shot.
    BTW how do you like the Tradesman?
    Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Do you enjoy woodworking? If your answer is yes and you seriously feel this will become a life long hobby then you need to ask yourself if you're certain that this will be a tool that you won't outgrown in a year or so.

I also happen to be in the market for a jointer. I've looked at alot of them and to me anyway, the benchtop ones seem like a bad investment for what I want a jointer to do. One the other hand, for someone who will only be jointing short and narrow boards, a benchtop could be an excellent choice for a jointer.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

Jim -
        For the "modest" projects you're talking about I think you'll do fine. Its very likely you'll outgrow your jointer later on, but that shouldn't stop you from getting started and doing some bang up cabinets. Look at it this way, you have it, use it. From what you will learn you'l be in a better position to argue with the LOYL about your tool budget.

Also, welcome aboard!! Makes sawdust and be safe!!
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Tom Hintz
          • Feb 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.

JE,
          You can get a benchtop jointer to work pretty well, especially if you prepr the stock a little if need be to "help" it along. I have a story about this at the first link below that explains it in detail.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/usejntr.html

I used a similar jointer to the one you have for years and it did a good job. Now I have a larger Delta floor model that is obviously more capable, especially in terms of length, but it does the same thing as the benchtop on shorter boards.
          I have reviews of both jointers at the link below, scroll down to Jointers.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
          Tom Hintz
          NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• DonHo
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
            • Craftsman 21829

I have the craftsman benchtop jointer, it's much heavier being made of cast iron but it doesn't have the extension on the outfeed table. I've not used it on any material longer than 36" but it does a fine job on that. I have a very small shop and am very limited on space so a larger floor model jointer is out of the picture for me. I think the model you have will probably work fine for your project.
            DonHo
            Don

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

A caution on bench top jointers that just came to mind as I was reading this. The jointer tables need to be lower than most tools require to give you better control of the stock. Somewhere between waist high or a few inches lower than that is comfortable to me. Not so low that your arms are extended. Working much above waist that, you are not going to be able to put down force on the stock.

From experience, I can tell you that jointer knives and the tips of fingers don't play well together.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the craftsman benchtop jointer, which lives on a small cabient that I built for it so that it fits beside/under my bt3's left side. I built the cabinet to have appropriate jointer height.

I've used it to joint 4' long 2x4s with great success. I've read that you should be able to joint a board about twice the length of the tables. Which is just over 4' in my jointer's case. I will be trying 5' or so for my desktop soon, and will let everyone know how it goes.

While there are things that a small jointer won't do, you can build a LOT of stuff with a 4' limit. Armoirs are doable, you just need to build modularly, which makes glue ups easier anyway.

I've been happy with mine.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• germdoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Omaha, NE
                  • BT3000--the gray ghost

I've noticed that in WW magazines from not too long ago many of the expert woodworkers used benchtop jointers. This was especially true of European craftsmen. Nowadays larger jointers are easily available and much more economical, but keep in mind quality work can be done with smaller equipment.

For an economical full-size jointer I would consider the HF 6", which is often on sale for <$200. I have one and find that it works quite well.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• JE

Thanks all, for the good info.
                    JE

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Go measure the height of a fullsize jointer and make the tabletop ones platform so its the same working height. Takes all the guesswork out.

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Germdoc: I had not even thought of the HF 6".
                        Glad to her you like yours, next time I`m down that way(HF is on the opposite corner of Des Moines from where I work) I`ll check it out.
                        Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• lcm1947
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Austin, Texas
                          • BT 3100-1

Grizzly also makes one for $189.00. It may be somewhat better then the Trademans or HF one or it may not but I would imagine it would?
                          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• JohnnyTest
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Joppa, Maryland.

Since you have the router and table, you should consider this a great way to joint as well. Since cabinets use mostly 3/4" the router table method should do well IMHO.

Comment

Working...