• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

A Little Help, Maybe????

Okay the question I have is that I am having problems with a wide kerf line around the drawer when I am cutting it out...I am going slow while I am cutting the drawer out...I just don't know what I am doing wrong still.

Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

My guess would be the wrong blade for the job.
    What are you using?
    I haven't done a box yet but for that cut I probably would use a 3/16" 10 TPI and go very slow.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

While the right width blade (and a good quality one) for the job is a big point, learning to guide the piece through the blade smoothly, pivoting the wood to keep the cut flowing is one of the harder things to learn on the bandsaw. It just takes time and practice to develop the "feel" for doing it.
      The good news is you get to make many projects along the way while you practice!
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

As Dick and Tom said, use the right blade. 3/16, 10 tpi is best. Make sure the tension is not too low, it looks like the blade may have some side wobble. Feed rate is very important, too slow is as bad as too fast. Don't let the blade set in one place, it will make a wide cut. Plan your cut along the path, move the stock as fast as the blade will take it without 'complaining', this will still be a slow feed rate, but not 'too slow'. This is something you have to 'feel'. Listen to the saw motor and the blade noise while watching the blade cut. A constant feed rate is important.
        I see at the upper left corner of your drawer there is a corner instead of a curve. This tells me that you stopped there for the turn, that's not a good thing.
        Sawing curves on a bandsaw is fun, but you have to develop the feel, curves on thick stock, like doing BS boxes, complicates this more. Practice, practice, practice. Experience cannot be taught. If I can be of more help, email me Melissa.
        ken

Comment

Working...