• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Bassett
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Gas/Electric Pole Saws

Does anybody have any experience with these tools?

I have some tree limbs I need to remove and pulling a manual pole saw/pruner is getting pretty hard to do.
    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I have the Remington electric one that goes for aroud $100 at HD. Got it on sale for aorund $65 from HF. All I can say is, don't buy it, even at that price.
    John

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I concur. The electric one's are junk. I have used my brother Echo gas pole saw and it works great.
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Well, I like MY Remington electric pole saw. It does OK for smaller limbs at 10-15'. Plus, it's a very handy small electric chainsaw which I use without the pole for cutting up small limbs and shrubs. Very light compared to my gas chainsaw.

I'd consider how much you were going to use it, how large the limbs are, etc. It's like the difference between a gas and electric weed wacker--some people find one or the other works for their purpose.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I have a Poulan gas and it works great. My BIL has the elec. and says that it is tiring due to the weight of the motor. He prefers to use mine.

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

I have the Remington electric pole saw from HD (I think HF sells reconditioned units). Its kind of wimpy but it works okay for light duty tasks. I have only a few trees and need the saw only once or twice a year. In hindsight, I should have gotten a manual pole saw instead of the electric. I would suggest getting a gas pole saw if you have alot of trees or plan to use the saw often.
            ________
            California Dispensaries
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• Bob Bassett
              Established Member
              • May 2003
              • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Thanks for the really good suggestions and advice. It will help a lot.
              Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

• don_hart
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I have a john deere gas brush cutter and the pole saw attachment for it and it works great.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• jnesmith
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Here's a very viable option. Just got a HD tool mag/flyer, and they list a new Ryobi gas pole saw for $179. Looks like a solid unit.
                  John

Comment

• WEG
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Nahant, MA.

Hi Bob;
                    I have the Remington 14" electric chain saw and it's been great. I have cut down three 10 -12" diam trees (hemlock and ash) and trimmed two 6" "branches" from a black cherry (I think that's what it's called...) and this little saw has been flawless. Oh, I also cut the things up into 24" pieces for the woodstove. The saw was fine, I was exhausted! I think this is the same saw that's the "pole saw" without the pole so the body is a bit different of course. If it isn't the same as the pole saw,...ooops [:I]
                    WEG

Comment

• russd
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2004
                      • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

I just use my cordless recipricating saw. I duct tape the saw to a 10 foot long piece of 3/4 thin wall conduit (EMT) and tie a string (rope) around the handle and set it the branch and then pull the string (rope). Works fine for me for the occasional branch.

I am sure an electric saw would work just as well, as long as you had a long enough extension cord.
                      Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!

Comment

Working...