Views:	212
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	850366
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

It took me a long while but I finally came to understand that the finishing process is what showcases the work behind it. All of the effort I put into a project was only appreciated by me - until I learned to spend nearly as much time on the finish as on the project. At that point, the finish gets others to appreciate the work that was put into it. Then, I started enjoying the finishing process.

In making pens, After the first dozen, I quite trying to make pens and decided to learn the process - the feel of the tool, sanding with different grits on different kinds of wood, learning the finishing process and getting a glass smooth finish on the whole pen. After that, finishes became easier, and it is the finish that separates the exceptional ones from the ones that look just OK. Exceptional finish on a pen can make $100+ difference in the selling price.

I know that probably doesn't help, but that is how I overcame my disdain for finishing well.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Dedpedal
      Established Member
      • Feb 2020
      • Palm Coast Florida
      • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
      It took me a long while but I finally came to understand that the finishing process is what showcases the work behind it. All of the effort I put into a project was only appreciated by me - until I learned to spend nearly as much time on the finish as on the project. At that point, the finish gets others to appreciate the work that was put into it. Then, I started enjoying the finishing process.

In making pens, After the first dozen, I quite trying to make pens and decided to learn the process - the feel of the tool, sanding with different grits on different kinds of wood, learning the finishing process and getting a glass smooth finish on the whole pen. After that, finishes became easier, and it is the finish that separates the exceptional ones from the ones that look just OK. Exceptional finish on a pen can make $100+ difference in the selling price.

I know that probably doesn't help, but that is how I overcame my disdain for finishing well.
      That’s actually great advice! As I gather better tools I’m learning that there are better methods to this madness. I’m not ready to order a Festool yet , but I’m heading in that direction.

Comment

Working...