• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

What the wife wants ... she gets ...

SWMBO ... expressed fairly explicit dissatisfaction with the pile/stack of DVD's laying on top of the component cabinet for the TV and opined that "... it would be NICE if someone were to devise a solution that 'didn't look like crap...' ..."

Being the well trained (after over 40 years of married bliss )husband I decided this was actually an "opportunity" to try and learn the basics of SKETCHUP. I have had several aborted attempts at learning SKETCHUP in the past several years but decided that this time was THE time ...

The project itself was fairly straight forward ... just a bunch of drawers and a casement to hold them.

I spent several hours with video tutorials getting down the SKETCHUP fundamentals and after a number of false starts managed to create a rough "sketch". The thing I found most useful was the ability to "measure" and set dimensional guidelines so that when I got to the shop the actual measuring/cutting was pretty well already defined.

So ... these few very poor smartphone pics show the final result. All of the wood EXCEPT the 3 casement "planks" was scraps from other projects. Since the only really visible feature is the front of the 12 drawers I made the front faces out of quartersawn red oak (as are the uprights), everything else (the drawers themselves) is just junk wood from various projects.
    Attached Files
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The pics might not be great, but that project is looking wonderful! How many DVDs do you own?

What are the handles - wood or metal? And do the drawers just sit in the cubbies or have sliders?

Would be good to see your sketchup diagram too...

A visually appealing and utilitarian project! Good job!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Thanks... We've got only a small collection of DVDs but enough that the piles were not tidy.

The knobs are metal... 98 cents each at Borg.

The drawers have "guides" with a dado down the center of the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by radhak
        Would be good to see your sketchup diagram too...
        I'll show these with the caveat I know there are several board members that have a real talent/artistry with SKETCHUP ... I just wanted to see if I could figure out the basics and hopefully BEGIN to use it more on future projects ...
        Attached Files
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

Working...