• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

My first "real" project using the table saw

This was done a while back when I first got my Bt3100. A friend wanted something to put in the walk-in closet so I made that. The sides, top, and bottom are made from plywood (maple veneer?). The drawers are all cedar.

While making the drawers, which was in the mid of NE winter, the woods all started to twist right after I assembled the drawers. Took me a good 2 weeks of clamping to untwist the drawers to a reasonable state. Even after that I still had to plane the drawers down quite a bit in order for them to fit. It was quite a pain in the rear.

• BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Very Nice! How were the drawers built?

Comment

• trungdok
      Established Member
      • Oct 2012
      • MA

Originally posted by BigguyZ
      Very Nice! How were the drawers built?
      Thank you. It's nothing fancy. I made a locking joint for the bottom drawers using the table saw. For the top drawers, out of laziness, I rabbet and glue them together. They don't receive heavy usage or abuse so they are still intact (knock on wood). They all each glides on top of two strips of wood attached to the sides of dresser (fitted in grooves). The sides are sized to fit between the strips the drawer gliding on to the strips for the above drawer. The front is a bit higher than the sides to cover the gap. The strips of wood also act as the drawer stops when closed.
      Last edited by trungdok; 05-16-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

I like it - great design and execution. Your design?
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Looks great!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Very Nicely done. Great looking fit!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• trungdok
              Established Member
              • Oct 2012
              • MA

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              I like it - great design and execution. Your design?
              Thank you! It is... kind of in the sense that I made it without any plan, sized it to fit, made sure it looks bottom heavy and clean line, and to create it without any hardware. Otherwise, the overall design is not exactly original. I borrowed different design elements from here and there.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Looks nice. It also brings back memories of my first dresser project. We used it until a few months ago, it was built about 30 years ago. It was all pine except the drawer bottoms which were plywood. The carcass and the drawers were glued and screwed together. I had a table saw but had to make cross cuts with the circular saw. The carcass was out of square which I didn't realize until I was fitting the first drawer. The backs had to be narrower than the fronts to fit. I cut and reglued the first drawer and accomidated the difference on the other drawers. The drawers were side hung like yours. I think I used plywood runners for them to slide on and dados in the sides of the drawers.

I've "moved up" to dovetail drawers (machine made, not hand made) for more recent projects but my early ones worked. They also held up through multiple moves and usage by kids and by my late wife to hold lots of paper - heavier than clothes.

Jim

Comment

Working...