• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Native American Flute

My eldest daughter is a musician (guitar, flute) and enjoys Native American flute. After seeing many designs and some utube clips online, I decided to try my hand at making a 5-hole version for her. Those pictured here are my first, which came out well enough that I used some nicely figured old-growth redwood to make the one I gave her (but other wise they're identical.)

This is not turned, but made from a square blank of old growth redwood that I first split, routed to shape internally and externally, then glued up. I used the hole spacing from a PVC design I found online, but the pentatonic tuning took a bit (done by enlarging each hole in succession, starting at the bottom and working back up toward the mouthpiece, after the flute is assembled.) I was amused that the "totem" thingy that sits on top of the flute to direct the air is called a "bird" (and the air channel is called the "nest") - so I decided to go literal and scroll sawed a bird shape to sit on the nest - nothing fancy, but functional, from some walnut scrap I had.

She got hers for her birthday a little while back. I keep this one for my personal enjoyment, as I sometimes will take it out on hikes and play in the solitude of the wilderness. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Came out nice! I made one a long time ago, similar design but turned:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=flute

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks Gerti. Your flute came out great, and looks like you went six-hole - I'm thinking of trying one of those in the near future. I have some aromatic cedar that is seasoning now that may want to be a flute
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Beautiful work. How's it sound - bet it's great.
        Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks Phrog. Sounds better than I can play The one I gave my daughter played very easily and responsively i believe because iwas able to get the walls thinner, whereas mine is nice but wants a touch more airflow.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Looks good Bill
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...