• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Cutting board variation

I recently learned the hard way that a method for adding contrasting wood stripes in a cutting board, as posted this spring in Fine Woodworking, only works with curves of a very gentle nature. Otherwise the thin strips you use to make a laminate crack like crazy. So I used a different technique that has several advantages. It is loosely based on the routing method to create butterflies to add in panels and the excavations that perfectly match the butterflies. It involves making several templates and using them through the addition of each contrasting wood. Therefore, you can make a stripe of any thickness you want without cutting a million strips and smearing glue all over the place. You can also taper the inset strip to essentially nothing at the end of the strip (not done on my example). It is just a series of cuttings, trim routing, and regluing for as many stripes as you want to add. For this posting, I used end grain oak glued up like a butcher block. The strips are maple, cherry, and walnut. I also added a little flair on the ends by insetting walnut and routing in a finger groove. I am showing this technique on a simple cutting board, but it would work equally well and rather dramatically on a table top, for instance. I have, since the original posting, added a similar cutting board made from maple.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by themachine; 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM. Reason: Added attachments
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Those came out great! I like how the contrasting wood insets looks with the oak end cut pattern.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Interesting technique! The results speak for themselves. Nice!!

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

That looks great! Thanks for sharing.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...