• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

What is it?

I'll tell you what it is in the next post so don't scroll down too fast.

• atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Our youngest is now old enough and big enough to be front facing in her car seat. I had bungeed a DVD player to the headrest so she would remain, um, civil on road trips. Big sister would just crane her neck to watch until she dosed off. Anyway, I needed an equitable solution for both of them but I wasn't going to buy each of them their own player or install new equipment in the car and I wanted to prevent them from touching the player from their seats.

I have sheets of plexiglass and I envisioned making one of those taxicab/police car partitions and mounting the player to it. It would also block out sound from the back. Wife gave a chuckle but it was a no go.

Then I thought about my dad. He was a travelling salesman of sorts starting in the early 80s. He logged a lot of miles and his car being his primary office, lacked a place to organize his pens, notepad, road maps, loose change, etc. Most of his company cars didn't have that center console that almost all cars have now. Just a little bump in the floor in front of the bench seat. So he made his own free standing console that fit over the bump in the floor and had compartments for each item he wanted to store. When he got a new car from the company, he'd design and make another custom unit. Nothing fancy but it got the job done. All with his B&D jigsaw, circular saw and some sheets of luan and pine boards.

Well, I did use a jigsaw and some other tools my dad didn't have, but in the same spirit, I used ply salvaged from a shipping crate and leftover melamine. This "car entertainment system" features a removable lid so mom can reach back and grab a DVD from the stash. The back was cut out so there'd be access to the lighter outlet and various trays in the armrest. All banged out in under 2 hours with just scrap paper figuring and making it up as I went along--just like dad.

It fits between the front and back seats. The player is bungeed down to the box.

We're going on a long car trip tomorrow so hopefully this keeps the peace.

Comment

• Raffi
      Established Member
      • Sep 2003
      • CA, USA.

Nice. Only addition Id make it to pad the corners somehow to keep the little ones from getting jabbed, and to protect your interior.

And make sure that the box is strapped down in case of a need for sudden stopping.

Have a safe trip.

Comment

Working...