• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Little Canfield Coffer...my version

Last fall I was looking for toy chest plans (free), when I stumbled across an article on a chest from the middle ages and was intrigued. http://www.currentmiddleages.org/ten...t4canfield.pdf It started as a Christmas gift for LOML, and finished after her May 23rd birthday. She's a lover of sunflowers and things rustic, so the leg decoration is less medieval and matches the quilt that is usually folded atop the chest.

The legs are white oak, the rest of the body is wild cherry--both locally harvested. I added cleats around the inside of the bottom and planed some rough cut cedar on them for a bottom. Used splines instead of dowels to attach the legs to the panels, and finished with several hand-rubbed coats of BLO. While there was no need for a hasp, we both think that adding one later will be a good touch to break up the front.

A satisfying project. I'm throwing in a picture of LOML's "Designer Mulch"--cherry dust mixed with poplar hand-plane shavings. It's been nice to be home for a few weeks!!

earl
    Attached Files
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I like it, great looking project.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Good looking chest! I agree, a hasp to match the hinges would add a good touch to the front.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Nicely done indeed. Looks great. A hasp would add to the look of the front.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

The drawings leave plenty of room for interpretation. There was a beat up wicker chest in that spot--and we needed to retain the same storage volume (ended up with slightly more--maybe one small blanket worth). In adjusting the size for our needs, I tried to stay close to a Fibonicci ratio on the length to height and height to depth measurements.

Fully agreed on the hasp--got a Lee Valley hardware catalog to fix that.

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2

Fully agreed on the hasp--
            earl
            You could check these out.

Comment