• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Quick iPad Stand

LOML won an iPad in a drawing at her school. Mentioned Sunday that it would she was having trouble getting it to stand up against the paper towel holder while she was following a recipe on the screen. I measured it, hobbled out to the shop and the cut-off hunk of cherry that had been on my RAS table for a month or so was perfect--didn't even need to rip it. Cut then ends to 22 1/2 degrees, found another scrap for the base, routed a 1/2" flute on the router table, cut a wedge from a third scrap. In well under an hour it was being glued up. Quick sand at 220 (did I mention I love the way cherry mills on my DW 735?) and a few coats of BLO and she's a happy camper!!

earl

PS--you're not getting a picture of the back as the glue stains show up far better in the pictures than in real life. I should have taken the time to build a jig for glue-up!!
    Attached Files
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Pretty Cool, and a good use of small pieces. How about a side view?

It sure is nice when a simple, quick project comes together well and is really appreciated.
    Erik

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Geez, even in a kind of profile the glue smudges look huge. Truly, in person it's not something you'd notice (unless you're a woodworker), but the camera just seems to magnify the tone difference. If I were going to make a handful, a pretty simple gluing jig would make that much better.

On a more positive note--I didn't realize until I was resizing the pictures that i'd shot them next to the very paper towel holder she was trying to use as a stand when she mentioned how hard it was to see around the dowel!!

earl
      Attached Files

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Sometimes the quick projects can be the most appreciated. Great idea. If someone brings up the glue smudges, ask why they are snooping around in your kitchen....
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

My wife has an iPad, and hope she doesn't see this. I like yours with the flute for the bottom edge. Nice that you angled the top to be on the angle. As for the glue, if it really bothers you, use a ¼" sharp chisel, bevel up and scrape a little, then add some finish.

BTW...did you make the paper towel holder?

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks. I think the glue bothers me most here--normal people will never know...not that y'all are abnormal!! Cab--you could knock a version of that stand out on your break, and save it for when you need to atone for something. The paper towel holder came to house with my wife nearly 9 years ago--but it would sure be easy to make.

earl

Comment

Working...