• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Unique "Project"

Had some foot surgery 2 weeks ago, and spent a lot of time on the couch with my leg elevated. After getting the stitches removed yesterday I took the rest of the day off work. Have been home a lot, but very little shop time so I decided to doodle around a bit. I've been wanting to practice resawing on the band saw so I grabbed a piece of cedar from a botched sign attempt over the winter and shaved a 16th off one side, then took a 32nd off the other to get rid of the painted letters. Got it just right, and was feeling good.

Had about 9/16" thick piece of cedar left so I decided to split it. Measured the blade thickness and rolled the digital calipers to half that and zeroed them out, then rolled out to 9/32" and used the stem to set my fence. Other than my feed technique in and out (and a bobble in the middle) came out almost dead even with some slight ripple. Not as far off in person as the pictures look.

Went in the house to get a glass of water, and saw some salmon fillets thawing on the counter. So...went back out and set a stop on the RAS for a quarter of the length and made 8 cedar grill planks. LOML made a great dill sauce this afternoon and some bruschetta--and when I got home from work we feasted (and didn't spend $6 on 2 cedar planks at a store!!) Next up--I've got some ugly cherry that just might do wonders on some pork or tilapia!!

Yep, an unusual project--but a all in good "taste"!!

earl
    Attached Files
Working...