• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Rustic Dining Room Table for Daughter and SIL

My daughter and son-in-law just closed on their first house. They had it built and it was a LONG 7 months from picking lot to closing for them and my wife and I ... as many know the "process" of having a home built can be stressful ... and it was. Regardless after all of the tears and hair pulling ... they closed on a beautiful home and we helped them move in this past weekend ...

My house warming present to them was a "built to their specifications" dining room table.

They specifically wanted "rustic", "dark finish" and 46" x 84" .... we went to several "rustic furniture stores" with them so I could get a better idea of what they had in mind ...

I started by looking for reclaimed wood and found several sources ... the prices were astronomical ... typically $9/bf+ for what I had in mind.

I got VERY fortunate and found a fellow at a giant flea market that had OLD 2x4 and 2x6 reclaimed long leaf pine out of a barn in Arkansas ... his price ... $1.25 RUNNING FOOT ... I almost broke my leg jumping in the pickup and backing up to his trailer

I contacted a mill I had used before and determined he had some 6/4 rough sawn cypress that I thought would work for the top and by incredible accident MY father-in-law (now 93) had two 4' x 11" long leaf pine boards he had saved since the 1960's from I have no idea where ... regardless I confiscated those to include in his grand daughter's new table.

As I started to build the base of the table from the reclaimed lumber I discovered several square nails ... dating the wood to well over 100 years I believe ... I thought that was pretty cool ...

The pics below show some of the "in process" photos I took and sent to my daughter for "approval" ... the last picture of the completed table is of poor quality taken with my cell phone but shows it in its and their new home ... they were very pleased and so am I ...
    Attached Files
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

I usually do not comment on projects. Very nicely executed! I like "heavy" furniture that is very minimalist. I'd have that in my dining room in a second.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

Very nice housewarming gift! Best of luck to your daughter and husband in their recovery from "the process".

B
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice job.

Does the base disassemble? I'm trying to figure out how I'd get something that big into my house. Maybe turned sideways you rotate it through the door? Or maybe ya'll just build it bigger in Texas.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Did you snap a picture of any of the wood before it was cleaned or milled? it would be interesting to see the total transformation to the finished piese.

That is, without a doubt, destined to become a family heirloom. Fantastic housewarming gift.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

For something that's really not my style, that's an incredibly nice job you did there. I'm sure it'll be loved for years to come.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Very nice work, I'm sure your daughter will love it!
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• All Thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Penn Hills, PA
                • BT3K/Saw-Stop

What did you use for the dark finish?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

@atgcpaul - the top comes off. I put two 1" pegs in the bottom of the top with matching holes in the 3/4" plywood sheet I have attached to the base so that the top can only "go on one way" and then there are lag bolts from bottom up thru the plywood sheet into the top. The plywood sheet is shorter than the top by 4" on each end and fits inside the skirt on the base. The two parts are very heavy and when put together ... the whole won't blow off in a tornado!

@allthumbs - well the finish was an experiment as I went along. Basically I used tung oil on the base (3 brushed on very heavy coats because that old wood was like a sponge) and then a waterbased matte poly finish on top of that (3 coats).
                  I should mention that the picture of the cypress all nicely planed flat is actually the BOTTOM of the top ... I did NOT plane the top of the top since they wanted "rustic" ... rather I sanded with 36 grit to clean up the dirt and grime. The finish on the top was first a heavy coat of dark mahogany gel poly wiped dry, then a coat of antique brown gel poly again wiped very hard, then 4 coats of water based matte finish poly.

@pappy - I'll look for pics of the wood as I got it ... I still have some pieces so I'll post one way or the other.

Thanks for the comments ... it was the first such project I have done ... they have friends that are interested in commissioning similar tables ... I gave them an "entry level price" ... just have to see if anything materializes from their interest.

Btw ... all of the joinery is doweled and glued + in the case of the legs to the corners of the skirt 4" heavy duty decking screws and I used decking screws in a few other places on the base to pull things together while the glue dried and left them.

Oh and ... OLD WOOD ... is NOT SQUARE! Nor is it consistent in thickness ... the 2x wood was basically trapezoidal in shape making cutting the "mortise like" fitting joints a challenge.
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

You did a great job. It looks very professional. I really like the "rustic look", and I bet it's heavy. That is a great gift. Did you sign and date it on the underside?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                      • Grizzly G1023SL

Here are some "in progress" pics that show the wood pre-finish

@CM - yes I branded both the underside of the top and a hidden spot on the base ...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BadeMillsap; 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM. Reason: answer CM
                      Bade Millsap
                      Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Very Nice, strong well built furniture is always welcomed and that fits the bill to a T.

Comment

• cork58
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                          • BT3000

Really great job, I've worked with old wood myself and know the challenge, you are to be commended for such a great job! I too believe it will become an heirloom to be cherished for years to come.
                          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

That sir, is one very nifty piece of furniture. Now, when can I come over for dinner?

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Great looking table Bade. Have they asked for matching chairs yet? Maybe a bench out of some of the same if you still have some stock left........
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...