X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Loft living

My son is turning four soon, and it was time he graduated from his convertible crib. He was going to grow out of it at some point, but it was generally falling apart because of the bolt hardware stripping out. My remedies held it together for another year, but it was time.

My original plan was to copy the ones we have in another room, we decided that it was going to cost too much. We settled (my wife did) on a set of plans from ana-white. I wasn't too sure about the long-term prospects of the construction, not with a kid who bounces off the walls at times. So I made a few modifications in construction, such as replacing PH screws on the major joints with 5" lag bolts, and using 2" and 3" screws elsewhere. I also sistered another 2x4 on each of the legs to make it a bit sturdier and to support the bed rails. This came in very handy when it came to assembling it - I had to do it solo.

This wasn't an eloquent project - more like a blunt force hammer being applied at speed. I could have done M&T and used fancier materials, but I didn't see much of a point. Not when the weather has been so uncooperative and I have so many other things I've been asked to do in the next two months.

He likes it, and it's passed my weight class so I'm happy too.

I added a couple of stairs in front of the platform but the picture I took at a lot of flare.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Nicely done!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Hey that's livin' large for a boy!!

One safety suggestion--you might consider finding a way to remove the strings from the shades or replacing the shades with curtains. A broken leg or arm will heal in short order, but a restricted airway could be permanent in a hurry.

earl

Comment

• unclecritic
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2008
        • Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829, (2) bt-3100's

Nice job!

I built one quite similar to that for my son. Voice of experience, do something with ceiling fan. Take the blades off or cut the chain short. My son and his friend had a real close call, and I cut the chain just long enough that I can couple back onto it at a later date

My son loves his loft. More space to spread out his lego land mines for dad to find in the middle of the night

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Cool! I like the stairs/platform idea in place of the traditional ladder. Safer in the long run and gives him a sense of adverture climbing...
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Well done! Sometimes form really does follow function :-) There is nothing wrong with utility furniture, if it serves the purpose then its doing its job. Heed the safety warnings mentioned.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
              Cool! I like the stairs/platform idea in place of the traditional ladder. Safer in the long run and gives him a sense of adverture climbing...
              If the room were a bit larger, then the platform could be a desk, and I think a Franklin chair would be a better fit. (Franklin chair, folds from a chair to an angled ladder)
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by unclecritic
                Nice job!

I built one quite similar to that for my son. Voice of experience, do something with ceiling fan. Take the blades off or cut the chain short. My son and his friend had a real close call, and I cut the chain just long enough that I can couple back onto it at a later date

My son loves his loft. More space to spread out his lego land mines for dad to find in the middle of the night
                But Dad, it worked in a cartoon i saw....

Comment

Working...