• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyF
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003
    • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Yet another entertainment center

After years of lurking here, *slowly* acquiring power tools, and a few practice projects, I finished a project that I wanted to share. Nothing too original, just another entertainment center.

This project started as an exercise in reverse psychology with my wife. I first started with a smaller flat screen (that'd be the perfect size for the bedroom) on an old TV stand hoping that she'd get the bug to view a larger screen. Alas, no luck.

The existing stand was getting cramped with all of the AV gear and game systems for the kids; so, I began sketching/researching ideas for a larger cabinet. (Hmm.... If can make it physically obvious that a larger screen would look better in the cabinet and still make it support the current TV, then at some point I'd hope to get the "we need to fill that space" directive. )

I got the go-ahead to begin construction, but the more she saw the progress on the cabinet, the more she wanted a bigger screen. As a result, she ordered the bigger screen before the cabinet was finished; so, she'd playfully ask "are you done yet" every few days...

Highlights of the cabinet:
    1 - vent slots are cut into the lower rails that pass through the toe kick to feed air into the cabinet
    2 - 3" casters in the base
    3 - rear panels are held with 1/2" neodymium magnets
    4 - 19dB fan in the back for air circulation
    5 - made a 4" wide stop in the rear of the cabinets to prevent the shelves from going too far back. that's to make room for cable management.
    6 - the dark background around the TV should improve the perceived video contrast on the screen. it's similar in function to a mask/surround on a large movie screen.

I don't have a jointer or planner; so relied on 1x material from big box stores for the rail/stile material. I noticed they varied in thickness. Instead of sanding, to compensate for the difference, I decided to hide it with a detail by routing a 1/8 round-over on all of the facing sides of the rails/stiles prior to assembly. Seemed to work.

Now to make a media storage cabinet..

Thanks for looking and for all of the suggestions/help. Especially with the doors. First time I made doors much less install hinges. (thanks CMan!).

Andy
    Attached Files
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Very Nice!

I like the clean look.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Looks great! I'm going to have to build something like this soon for my basement. It has an old style TV in an old entertainment center but I'm getting married and I think we will be upgrading to a flat screen down there and it will require a new cabinet. I look at the cabinet to be a fun part of the TV transition. I have enough oak so it may very well end up being oak - like yours.

Even with a planer, an old Ryobi AP-10, I have thickness variation in the rails and stiles of doors. I just use a random orbit sander on the completed door to sand it flush. I also like using cope and stick bits on the router table to make the joints and dress up the inside edge of the doors. When I want glass doors, I use a rabbeting bit and a chisel to remove material on the back side of the glued up door to create the rabbett for the glass.

Can you use a remote through the glass door?

Jim

Comment

• Two Much
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Long Island, NY
        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

it looks great. You must be happy on the build and the new big tv.
        I can't believe how much it looks like our cabinet.

Do you have a back on the TV? If so, it should be removed.
        These tv's need a lot of air space.
        We also removed the back behind the components, because of
        air circulation.
        We used tinted glass on the doors and the remote works
        through the glass...you plan on using glass, right?

I see on the right you have enough room
        to build a long narrow wall hanging matching dvd cabinet.
        Once again, really nice build.

Comment

• AndyF
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2003
          • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Can you use a remote through the glass door?
          yes. not a problem.

Do you have a back on the TV? If so, it should be removed.
          These tv's need a lot of air space.
          The cabinet back (actually in the middle) on the upper section is 6in from face of the upper cabinet. The wall mount bracket is 4in deep and the TV is about 2in deep. That puts the face of the TV about flush with the face of the upper cabinet.

There's a 5in gap on the sides of the TV and a 3in gap along the top and bottom. With the TV flush with the face, I should get good air flow to keep it cool.

Wall mount $21: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The exhaust fans in the cabinet come on when I turn on the AV receiver. The fans are connected to a DC power supply that's plugged into the switched power outlet on the receiver. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835610005)

Thx!
          Andy
          Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Oh, I see, I didn't realize it was on a wall mount until I
            enlarged your first pic.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Good job Andy! A first use of psychology and woodworking on the forum, I think
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

The cabinet came out great...well done indeed. Very professional looking. You did some extensive planning for cooling and wiring. IR controllers do work through glass, and I've had some work through plywood panels. Blacking out around the TV worked out nicely. What did you use for that?

Comment

• AndyF
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Blacking out around the TV worked out nicely. What did you use for that?

It's formica/laminate, "basalt slate".

Thx

Comment

• 3thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • Northern Colorado
                    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Radio Shack has 110 volt cabinet fans that come complete with a plug, so I just plugged mine into the receiver/amp's 110 volt power supply. It comes on when the receiver/amp is turned on.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Very nice work. I really like the effect of the tv 'floating'.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...