• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

My Wood Storage Bin, of sorts

Well, this is not a storage "bin" but more of a storage room. Because we have "building codes" in this small town, I was told that I could add onto an existing storage unit but not "wall it in" with a closed wall without a permit. I chose to leave the wall open - for now. Maybe put up some visqueen sheets later.

I have soo much wood inside the storage house that I need for "storage" rather than wood, so says LOML, so I built this. I have been collecting the wood, 2X4s, ply and roofing for the past 18 months. About 4 weeks ago, I started building (on Saturdays only.)

I have a bin stand on the wall side in which a rack that is 18 inches wide and about 14 inches high for each cubby hole. This rack is 8 feet long.

To the outside of the cubby holes is a 16 in wide rack for plywood sheets. I have 19 sheets, mostly 3/4 but some 1/2 and a few 1/4. Most of these plywood sheets have been around since before my dad passed away in '96. Old, good quality ply.

On the side are shelf brackets and some 3/8 ply wood for shelves. I intend to stack short pieces on these shelves.

Above the rack is 10 inches of space that I will use to store wide boards 12 to 14 inch wide that have been in storage for years. Above that is space for longer boards, storage for 12ft boards.

The whole storage space is 7 ft wide by 16 ft long. In front of the "rack" I intend to put an 18 inch by 3ft vertical bin on wheels to hold scrap pieces.

I have quite a bit of Oak, Walnut, Cherry, plus cottonwood with figures and other woods that were my dad's. Now that I can get to it, I plan on using it in the future.

CLICK ON PICTS for Larger view.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wow Hank, you have been busy! I am kinda surprised at the age of the plywood you are storing. Temps and humidity must not be much of a factor in your neck of the woods. Down here the plywood would be a potato chip by now. Are you concerned at all about outdoor temp and humidity swings with your lumber? Pests? Rain/Snow?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Wow Hank, you have been busy! I am kinda surprised at the age of the plywood you are storing. Temps and humidity must not be much of a factor in your neck of the woods. Down here the plywood would be a potato chip by now. Are you concerned at all about outdoor temp and humidity swings with your lumber? Pests? Rain/Snow?
      I am concerned about rain, which is why I am looking for something to put on the outside without violating the "building" code. This wood is no different than lots of wood that has been aged inside of a barn or shed, which are not air tight. The plywood is all in very good shape and condition, as are most of the other boards/wood. I think that UV will do it more damage than humidity and temp swings which most of it has endured for years anyway.

The platform is high enough off of the ground; for the foundational floor and joists, I used pressure treated wood, none of which is in contact with the ground.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Hey Hank,
        Are you planning to build an Ark, solves your worries about too much rain.
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
          Hey Hank,
          Are you planning to build an Ark, solves your worries about too much rain.
          Well, it is going to stay together! I forgot to mention this fact - Everything, except for the roofing was put together with screws. No nails except for the tar paper and roofing.

One other bit of information, some of the walnut came from a tree that I used to swing under as young boy. Used a vine to swing out into a bayou. Didn't worry about snakes, just wanted to have fun. That tree was cut down in 1968, the wood has been stored in several different places. Most has been used but I have several 6 to 8 ft long 3x4 and 3X3 and numerous 8 to 10 inch wide boards 4 to 8 ft long. BUT LOML says she wants to store things in the shed!
          Last edited by leehljp; 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Would wrapping the walls with plastic be considered walling in the shed? Not the best solution, but at least some protection against the elements.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Pappy
              Would wrapping the walls with plastic be considered walling in the shed? Not the best solution, but at least some protection against the elements.
              That is where I am headed with my thinking. I have some 4 X 8 lattice sheets; I am thinking about installing with some heavy plastic on the inside of the sheets so that it will have some strength and still look "open".
              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...