• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

PopsicleBot. Yeah, it's woodworking :)

I think forgot to share this recent creation with you all. I've had a lot of fun doing little projects with my son over the summer, and at one point we thought it would be fun to try to make a little wooden insect on the cheap. The result is probably the simplest woodworking project I've ever done, but I did still get to use a power tool! (I drilled three holes through four popsicle sticks.)

There are lots of pictures and even a video on my blog site here:

The first version was a tethered proof of concept, before we added the analog circuitry (the eyes) to allow it to walk on its own. This version was much lighter weight and controlled with a digital microcontroller, so as a result its steps were much more reliably timed to the music. Here's the video of the original version just for kicks:

Enjoy!

(Oh, and in case it comes up: I've been asked several times why we didn't just program a little MCU for the untethered version. The answer is that I wanted to draw a clear distinction between analog circuits and digital ones for the kids. The had to program the tethered one, but we only had to solder the final version.)
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

How about a POPSICLE STICK BOMB

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

That was cool!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

'Hello, Toys 'R Us? I have an idea to help keep kids faces from being planted in video games 24/7.....'

Totally cool!
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Very cool.
          Great to get them interested in this type thing. They will be leaps and bounds ahead of me when I first got into cnc stuff. Man! what a learning curve.

Next step is to design one that will hold a pen or marker and draw an image on a piece of paper.
          I saw one quite a bit larger that actually held a dremel or engraver for moving across a sheet of something to draw or engrave. Robots are so cool. As you can tell, I may be easily amused though.
          Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

That is just too cool!
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Neat, Now just attach a camera and send it to the Pentagon.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Fun stuff! I rarely get to solder these days, but when I do I really enjoy it. Just seems that for each project I end up with a different micro controller because the ones from the previous project are EOL...

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry I missed all the nice replies here! Thank you!

I've had a number of people ask if I have kits available for this, so I'm thinking I might actually give that a try. The soldering is a bit detailed, but it really is a fun project to do with the kids.

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  Next step is to design one that will hold a pen or marker and draw an image on a piece of paper.
                  We're actually working on a different one with a similar goal here http://www.thefrankes.com/wp/?p=2583 -- we have a ways to go still, though.

Originally posted by gerti
                  Fun stuff! I rarely get to solder these days, but when I do I really enjoy it. Just seems that for each project I end up with a different micro controller because the ones from the previous project are EOL...
                  This one uses 555 timers to avoid all programming. Regarding MCUs, have you checked out the Arduino platform yet? It uses the Atmel ATMegas and the platform has picked up a lot of steam in the last few years. It's not appropriate for a little project like this one, but it might be worth a look. That platform makes the whole MCU programming and integration process pretty darn simple...
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• jgrobler
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Salinas, CA, USA.
                    • TS3650

Nice one Alex. Next one for inspiration could be this:

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • IL, USA.
                      • DELTA 36-675

That was cool! It reminded me of the toys I had growing called 'Zoids'.

Thank you for sharing!

regards,
                      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...