• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Changing Table

After almost six and a half years, i finally finished my changing table project! I started it before my daughter was born in 2005, but between her being born early and moving shortly after, it got shelved until 2009 when my son was on his way. I had the main part (no drawers/door) ready for the finish by the time he arrived, but work has been much slower since. I finally got the finish on about nine months ago when it went into service, but i've been slowly working on the drawers, door, and knobs. As of last week i can finally say it is complete!

The design is based off of Amateur Woodworker's plan with some changes inspired by Tim's version. I would have changed the design a lot more if i was starting today (it was my first furniture project), but overall i'm pleased with how it turned out. I'm looking forward to moving on to other half finished projects now!

The wood is soft maple, finished with orange shellac for color and EM6000 lacquer. It isn't my favorite color, but it matches the crib we bought pretty well. I made the drawer/door knobs out of cheap plastic figurines, drilled a hole in the back, and epoxied in a dowel with a threaded hole in the end.

Some work in progress pictures (click on the photos to enlarge):

Pieces all marked out:

Mostly cut up with some panel glue ups, about the state at the point of my daughter's birth:

Various other progress pictures:

The state about when my son was born:

Eric
  • Larryl
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Lorena, TX, USA.
    • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Eric,

I built the same changing table when my grandson was born. However, I used pine and painted it to match the other furniture in his room. You made a much nicer table with dovetailed drawers and raised panel door. Your creative drawer pulls are a nice touch.
    I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sweet! Beautiful build, lovely dovetails.

That is so good looking, that you must put it to full use again : you should collaborate with the missus for kid #3 !
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

nice job. The finish came out very nice. I also like the idea of your improvised knobs. Sometimes I find the hardware costs more than the wood in the project.

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          nice job. The finish came out very nice. I also like the idea of your improvised knobs. Sometimes I find the hardware costs more than the wood in the project.
          No kidding! The ones my wife found would have been over $100. The tube of animals (including several i didn't use) was under $5.
          Eric

Comment

• 3thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Northern Colorado
            • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Very, very nice! The neat thing about these kinds of projects is that someday one of your children will be using this for your grandchildren, and you will be remembered often.
            DM

Comment

• jwd12
              Established Member
              • Jun 2005
              • Dyer, In..
              • BT3100

Looks great, very clever and beautiful work, congratulations on a job well done. Can' tell you how happy it makes me knowing there is someone else who works with the same rapidity as I.
              I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jwd12
                Looks great, very clever and beautiful work, congratulations on a job well done. Can' tell you how happy it makes me knowing there is someone else who works with the same rapidity as I.
                Lol, i second that
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Looks great, I built one several years ago for the arrival of my niece, funny I never built one for my son. How do you like the EM6000? I love it personally, did you use their water based shellac? The finish looks excellent, also what spray gear did you use?

Keith
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• thrytis
                    • May 2004
                    • Concord, NC, USA.
                    • Delta Unisaw

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad my slowness can inspire others!

The orange shellac i used was regular flakes i mixed with alcohol. I really liked the satin EM6000 - it went on very nicely despite only having a HF turbine HVLP to apply it. I wish the shellac went on that well. I haven't had as much luck with the gloss EM6000 though that i used on another project, but i'm still new to spraying so i'm not blaming the EM6000 yet.
                    Eric

Comment

Working...