• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Treasure Chest Bank

This is a Christmas present I made for my 5 yr old. He needed a larger bank & since he likes to play pirates this seemed like a good idea. It was made out of some 1/2" oak. The bottom is mitered & then I used my Ryobi detail biscuit joiner (R2) to reinforce the joint. The bottom is the same 1/2" oak rabbeted into the sides so the bottom of the box is flush. I ripped bevels on the pieces for the lid (think barrel staves). There is a coin slot cut into the top. I couldn't really figure out a good way to clamp the pieces of the lid together because of the shape & small size of the pieces, so, I bought some brass nails and used glue & nails. Everything was sanded to 220 grit and then finished with Minwax Golden Oak stain followed by four coats of Deft Satin Spray lacquer.

It turned out better than I thought it would. Comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That is a true treasure among chests ! Very cute, and those brass nails only add to the look. Great work!

Your son is going to -- umm -- treasure this for a long time.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

The only thing missing is a BIG lock to keep the treasure IN the chest!
      I agree, those brass tack heads add to the over all look.
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

Originally, I wanted to have a hasp & an old style keyed padlock. I couldn't really find the right look, so I went with the hook that is on it. I thought giving a 5 yr old anything sith a key is asking for the key to get lost.

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Very nice! Its really great when all you have is an idea and it comes out that good. I agree the brass really brings out the CHEST look!.

Thanks for sharing, now if my grand daughter finds out I'm in trouble!

cork
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

That is really nifty,

I love the coopered top. If your son doesn't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...