• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Simple Cuff links

Here are the first two sets of cuff links that I've made.

One set of Irish Bog Oak turned on the lathe and a set of fused Sky Blue glass carbacons that I made in the kiln.

I wore the glass ones last week and someone commented on them, so I guess I did something right.
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Both sets are very nice. I like the glass ones (blue is my favorite color). I haven't worn cuff links since I got married.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Yo Cab,

I haven't worn cuff links since my Barmitzvah.

Mike, all kidding aside, those are really nifty, and they just might be a great thing to sell.

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Beautiful work, Mike. I really like the blue ones also. Where do you get the findings for these?
        Richard

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by phrog
          Beautiful work, Mike. I really like the blue ones also. Where do you get the findings for these?
          this are the cheapest bronze findings I could find. They are solid, non-hinged. Got them from RioGrande.com
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Nice! The blue glass ones in particular. So the link blanks are just flat and glued on, no enclosure like a bezel setting? I'm in the process of doing something very similar, hope they come out as good as yours.
            You say the findings are bronze? I like the look of nickel, but I understand a lot of people are allergic to nickel, not sure what way I'm going to go with that yet.
            Last edited by herb fellows; 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by herb fellows
              Nice! The blue glass ones in particular. So the link blanks are just flat and glued on, no enclosure like a bezel setting? I'm in the process of doing something very similar, hope they come out as good as yours.
              You say the findings are bronze? I like the look of nickel, but I understand a lot of people are allergic to nickel, not sure what way I'm going to go with that yet.
              With cuff links, nothing comes into contact with the skin, so it shouldn't be an issue with skin reactions. Earrings on the other hand............ Sterling Silver is the most popular for obvious reasons.

the place I got them from has several different metals. The Bronze ones are a nice cheap way to practice. I think it came out to $2.50 a set for the findings on these (Sterling sets are about $12). And yes, they have a simple flat 14mm disc that I glued the pieces to. Very simple. I've seen some with bezels, but didn't want to try to get my glass to fit that tightly, or have to have a certain size when turning wood.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Yeah, the allergy thing wasn't for wearing them per se, it was for touching them to put them on. I'm all thumbs myself, and I can spend a minute or two fidgetting with each one to get it right.

I was on a plane recently and the flight attendant asked everyone to refrain from eating peanuts or any thing peanut related as someone with really bad allergies was on board! That surprised me a lot, I guess some people just have really horrendous allergies.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...