• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Knife Display Box

A buddy of mine asked me to build a box to hold a Boy Scout commemorative knife that he got his nephew for earning his Eagle. When we first talked about it I intended to do a simple box with a sliding lid. Much like the ones JR did recently http://www.bt3central.com/showpost.p...13&postcount=9

It ended up being a little more involved. My buddy is also supposed to be making a leather sheath for it, so the box got bigger. When I finally saw the knife, I figured it ought to be displayed. It has a little 3D hologram on the side and some other ornamentation.

I still don't like doing miters, but a couple good miter jigs for my table saw made them a bit easier. They came out a lot better than any other mitered corners I have done in the past. I still need to make a decent shooting board & donkey's ear sometime.

The wood is a Peruvian Walnut. It has some beautiful, consistent grain. I haven't produced a photo that captures it well. The iridescent qualities of it really popped out with the Watco natural Danish Oil I put on it. The chatoyance really shower when it was cut with a really sharp plane. It's not a very dense wood, and it tears out fairly easily. Sharp tools are a must. The hinge mortises went a lot better with a keen edge.

It took me a while to figure out a good way to mount the knife. At first I was thinking of doing a recessed cutout to receive it. Then I figured I ought to make the case able to be wall mounted so I needed a way to keep it in place. I ended up making some posts with magnets in them to hold it in place. The one post is slotted to fit the belt clip on the back of the knife, the other is plane. I end drilled the oak dowels for a 3/8" dia rare earth magnet. I covered the slot and the end with some thin rips of the walnut.

I put a cleat on the back for wall mounting. I played around with some feet designs, but I couldn't get any that looked quite right. I bit the bullet and cased the bottom. I wasn't looking forward to matching up the mitered base with the mitered box.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'm not too happy with the thin oak plywood I used for the bottom. I don't think the grain pattern goes well with the walnut. I also got a little splotching on the oak from some darker Watco danish oil even with using a conditioner on it.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

That's beautiful -- Great idea with the dowel post/rare earth magnet holders.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

The case came out beautiful. Nicely done. You're right...miters look real good. The contrasting colors really set it off.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Great job and I really like the idea of using the dowels with the magnets. I have about 50+ old fishing reels from the late 1800,s to mid 60,s I have been wanting to get off the mantle and put in a more prominent place to display but had never thought of using the dowels and magnets. Thanks for that idea. I,ll try to post them when I get a chance to build the display case,Thanks again,Tommyt

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Beautiful case, and I actually like the oak grain for this - reminds me of topographical maps, with which that and a good compass all scouts should be well acquainted.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

That is gorgeous. Like some of the others, I think the oak ply contrasts nicely. Good job.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

I think it looks great! The walnut is beautiful and the miters look dead on. If your not happy with the oak ply, you could always veneer it with something exotic and then use a very small molding inside to hide the edges. Never the less the workmanship is outstanding be proud of it!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Nicely done. The flowing pattern in the oak bottom seems to radiate upward from the knife. Planned or not, good visual effect.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Shep
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Columbus, OH
                  • Hitachi C10FL

Two thumbs way up!
                  -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• 4estgump
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice project.
                    4est

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I showed it to my buddy at our dart match last night. He was quite pleased with it. He still doesn't know when the Court of Honor will be held. Hope he has enough time to get his leather sheath made.

I was wrong about who it was for. It was for his grandson, not nephew. I guess we're getting a lot older then we think we are.
                      Erik

Comment

• cobob
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Rolla, MO, USA.
                        • BT3100

Deserving of the Daedal award: again in both senses of the word.

Comment

Working...