• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garymuto
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Encinitas, CA
    • Delta Cabinet Saw

Very nice work. I don't see any mistakes???

I like the look of the through tenons from the bottom rail as previously mentioned. An interesting detail is that I have never seen a commercially available cabinet that has the outboard door pulls on the outboard stiles. What drove you to make that design decision? Without giving this thought, I would follow convention and always put the hinges on the outboard stile and the pulls inboard.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Gary - I intentionally only posted pics that wouldn't show the mistakes! Most of the big ones got corrected.

Because this cabinet had 3 doors, the layout of the hinges and the pulls ends up somewhat asymetrical no matter what you do. SWMBO liked the pulls on the outside better.....life is better when I just do what I'm told!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Really nice. I would put a picture of the starter material (the wine vat pieces) in a frame on top of this piece. Could be useful for conversations.

Jim

Comment

• themachine
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Cincinnati, OH
          • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Double what everyone else said. I also like the concept of posting before and after pictures. Gives a better sense of what one has to do to get the end product. I know when people ask me what I have made, they are picturing the source as a box of precut parts that I just assemble like a tinkertoy.

Comment

• 3thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Northern Colorado
            • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

I'd like to see more of the Guitar build. I would like to try that myself. I think that I will do a Grizzly kit first......

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by 3thumbs
              I'd like to see more of the Guitar build. I would like to try that myself. I think that I will do a Grizzly kit first......
              I'd definitely encourage you to do a guitar build. I don't even play and it was a great journey. Easily my favorite project to date. Hopefully the 2nd one will be better....I'll definitely post it here. I'd suggest buying the neck and electronics and building the body yourself....not that hard and adds some education and satisfaction to the process.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• 3thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Northern Colorado
                • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

How do you cut the cavities for the electronics and the neck pocket? Did you make your guitar from a precise plan, or did you do this on your own? I don't play either, but this is intriguing.
                Dave

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Dave - Now you've done gone and prompted me to start a whole new thread!
                  guitar build 2

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Scott, you suck! That piece from start to finish including stain and topcoat was a workweek (40 hours)!!

P.S. - you are my hero for the day.
                    P.P.S.- you still suck because you remind me of what I can't do because of 10,000 excuses
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

A beautiful piece even more impressive knowing it is from salvaged wood. Some beautiful QSWO!
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• 9johnny5
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Orange Park, FL
                        • BT3100

What a score with that salvaged QSWO!! And you have certainly done it justice with that center.... the perfect design to complement the rays. You are an inspiration to the rest of us...Keep up the awesome work!

Johnny C.
                        not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• billwmeyer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Weir, Ks, USA.
                          • BT3000

Looks great! I think my next project if I get my adiorndack love seat finished will have to be an entertainment center. I hope I can come up with something half as good.

Bill
                          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...