• Show
Clear All
  • rxvii
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009
    • Cheshire, CT
    • Ryobi BTS21 with miter channel

Why Buy One When You Can Make A Beauty?

A couple of months ago I posted pics of a jack plane I made. It came out and works so well that I decided to make another, a jointer plane. It's 17 inches long, made of mahogany with rosewood knob and tote (which I purchased). The iron is from Hock Tools. I used the "scary sharp" method to sharpen the iron. I can shave with it. The Krenov style plane is rather boxy, so I gave it more of a Blum Plane style. It planes beautifully. The mahogany is natural, no stain, only oiled with teak oil and hand rubbed. Hopefully, photos are attached. I still haven't figured out how to use this site yet. Next, I'm determined to learn how to hand cut furniture grade dovetails. Wish me luck!

rxvii
    Attached Files
    rxvii
    As Sir Isaac Newton replied in answer to an important question, "Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest; chickens in motion tend to cross the road!"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Nice looking plane...well done. What did you use for iron adjustment?

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

That's really good looking! How heavy is it?

One thing I like about my Stanley/Bailey No7s and No8 is the mass. They take a little more effort to get moving, but they will work right through difficult grain a lot easier than my smaller planes.
      Erik

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Very nice, almost a shame to use them....

Bill
        on the left coast in the fog

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Beautiful! I am so jealous!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• rxvii
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2009
            • Cheshire, CT

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Nice looking plane...well done. What did you use for iron adjustment?
            Cabinetman,

Thanks for the comment. No special iron adjustment. It's still basically a Krenov plane so a simple wedge holds the iron in place. I usually adjust the iron to get a small bite, with paper thin shavings.

rxvii
            rxvii
            As Sir Isaac Newton replied in answer to an important question, "Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest; chickens in motion tend to cross the road!"

Comment

• rxvii
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2009
              • Cheshire, CT

Originally posted by pelligrini
              That's really good looking! How heavy is it?

One thing I like about my Stanley/Bailey No7s and No8 is the mass. They take a little more effort to get moving, but they will work right through difficult grain a lot easier than my smaller planes.
              Erik,

I think you are right about the mass. I have a couple of Stanleys also. This plane weighs about 2 3/4 lbs, so I think it's a light weight for a jointer. I'll know better after I use it for a while. I use the jack plane I made all the time. This plane cost about $85 to make (less if make your own tote and knob). The iron is the big expense. Still, a good jointer is probably a couple of hundred bucks. Too much for me.

rxvii
              rxvii

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

That is pure art, functional, but art.

What a beauty.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• All Thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Penn Hills, PA
                  • BT3K/Saw-Stop

WHat are the white things on the front that look like head lights?

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by rxvii
                    Erik,

I think you are right about the mass. I have a couple of Stanleys also. This plane weighs about 2 3/4 lbs, so I think it's a light weight for a jointer. I'll know better after I use it for a while. I use the jack plane I made all the time. This plane cost about $85 to make (less if make your own tote and knob). The iron is the big expense. Still, a good jointer is probably a couple of hundred bucks. Too much for me.

rxvii
                    Light weight has it's advantages too. When I did my bench I flattened the top with a Woodriver No 6. It weighs about 7-3/4 lbs. I was a little sore the next day.

At the time all I had was the new No 6 and a little Stanley No 3. I probably should have put more of a camber on the iron, but I planned on using it more for jointing so I flattened it out. A good scrub plane would have been in order for the rough work (still looking for one).

Yours ought to work really well for edge jointing. I think the lighter weight would be an advantage in that type of work.
                    Erik

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

That is a thing of beauty!
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...