• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Benefit Trophies

I just finished these trophies late last night for a benefit dart tournament I am helping out with today. A member of our association, and a beloved friend, passed away a week and a half ago. We're doing a tournament and fundraiser to help cover the costs of the funeral from last Saturday. He was one the nicest and loving man I had ever met. A wealth of friends and family are going to miss him terribly.

I did the trophies out of red oak and maple, with a strip of mahogany to frame the plaques that I printed on glossy photo paper. I wish that the photo of him didn't crop off the top of his head. (It was taken that way, I didn't slip with the xacto knife.) They are finished with just a couple coats of wipe on poly. I would have liked to get some BLO or tung oil on them, but I didn't have time for it to dry properly. I didn't get started until mid Sunday, and I only had a few hours after work to get it all done. I kind of like the combination of the oak and maple. The colors work together well, but I like the opposing grains. The oak with a very evident porous grain and the fine closed grain of the maple.

I also included a shot of some I did for the Annual 'Tom Atkins' Memorial that my team, the Dart Rats, has been doing since he left this world. Tom was an original member of the team started in 1994. Our first memorial benefited Habitat for Humanity, and the last three have gone to Meals on Wheels. We've been generating over $2500 per event from tournament proceeds, food plate sales and mainly raffle and auction items. Those were done in red oak and walnut finished with some medium walnut Watco danish oil.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Nice job, Erik, and from the heart, too...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Great looking trophies, very professional looking. A nice gesture.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

It looks like you did a lot with little time involved. They really look good, and I commend you for being so generous.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

Well done and the trophy's look pretty nice too.
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the kind words!

They were well received, and the tournament was a big success. We had 33 teams shooting in the blind draw doubles. The event generated over $3000. Everyone had a lot of fun.

I've got a couple more of the same to make. One for his brother that had to fly back overseas right after the funeral and a couple more for some close friends running the event.

A few of our dart association members said I ought to make all of the league trophies. I emphatically declined! We have about 150 to 200 made every season (there's three seasons). No way, no how, not gonna happen. I still haven't gotten around to replacing the beat up vinyl covered MDF bases for our current division cups and trophies. I was volunteered to do those some time back.
            Erik

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
              • May 2003
              • Orlando, FL, USA.
              • BT3000

Erik:

I applaud your cause and your woodwork. I added your photos to my "plans" file.

- Lonnie
              OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nicely done Erik. Those are excellent and a great build. Congratulations on the job and the success of the benefit which you contributed to highly. Sorry I missed these yesterday but this week has been a very tight schedule for me for sure.

Well done...

Comment

Working...