• Show
Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

My very own pipe

I spent a few minutes in the shop a month ago, and came out with this. It was purchased as a gift to myself as a blank kit. The 2 holes were pre drilled, and the bit tenon was fitted to the mortise. After that, it was all up to me.

It’s made from briar, and is now stained with many bowls of fine, smooth smoking tobacco. It really was a fun and enjoyable project. Took about 2 or 3 hours to rough, and then a LOT of final sanding.

It smokes great, and I am seriously thinking of making a couple from scratch. I’ll order my bits from the net, and I already have a perfect piece of Osage Orange scrap waiting for some tender care.

It’s funny how rewarding making something just for one’s self can be once in a while.
    Attached Files
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

That is a project I don't remember seen done before. Looks nice.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

That is very nice indeed. I second it as being unusual. What tobacco do you smoke? I am thinking about digging out my pipes as well and moving them out to my shop. I haven't smoked a pipe in years. I like it because I tend to rush through things and I learned early on that you can't rush a pipe or a good cigar.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• nadz
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2005
        • Rocket City, AL, USA.

awesome pipe!

i love it!

so im guessing it was made from a briar blank kit? and you are going to try to make some out of osage orange? i cant wait to see them, please keep us posted
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Very cool! I've never seen a pipe posted before either. It's been many years since I smoked a pipe or anything else. It almost makes me want to try it again.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Nice job on a rather unusual project.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

Very nice!
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Hoover
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • USA.

I hear herbal tobacco smoked through a bowl is pretty good!!
                No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Nice work!

It has been ages since I've even seen someone smoking a pipe. My grandfather smoked a pipe, so seeing the pic brings back some great memories.

Comment

• schloff
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Southern Middle TN
                    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Thanks to you all. I enjoyed making it, and will continue to hone my skills the best I can. It was from a kit, purchased at my local tobacconist. One can get one from ebay. But you won't get to pich the grain, see and feel the briar, or check the angle of the stem.

I really enjoy smoking a pipe. I was smoking cigars for years, and thougt I enjoyed them, until I was given a pipe as a gift. I found that its a LOT cheaper to smoke the pipe than cigars, and time is a factor, too. I can enjoy a bowl for 5 minutes, or 4 hours, without a financial obligation to burn it to the stump.

Figure a "decent" single cigar, purchased at a shop will run over $5, and last me about 20 minutes. I get a 2 oz bag of loose tobacco for $6, including tax. Lasts me 2 weeks or more as often as I smoke.

And it smells really awesome. I like the sweeter and aromatic tobacco, always mild blends. Black Cordial, Sugar Mountain, etc. Whatever my shop carries and personally blends, I'll try it.

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Hoover
                      I hear herbal tobacco smoked through a bowl is pretty good!!
                      I thought that was illegal?

Suppose it depends on the herb...

Very nice looking pipe and just think of the braggin' rights.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

My best friends dad used to make pipes from clay. He owned a small coal mine, so clay was more than available. I used to smoke a pipe and really enjoyed it. I am afraid to pick up a smoke again, because I probably would never quit. I used to smoke Flying Dutchman all of the time and I loved it.

Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Sorry I almost missed this as my computer has been down since Mon. but... very nice job as I also have never seen anyone build their own pipe. I was not aware there were kits though I should have guessed it.

Well done...

Comment

Working...