Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Thanks John.. Bill & Bill W. Got to grab a pot of coffee this morning and design a printer table to match as "she" didn't like the paper carrier protruding from the front of her desk-hutch. The Boss keeps me busy as she knows how to keep me out trouble I seem to find when idle.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Sarge, I happen to have seen a display of A&C stuff at the LA Cty. Museuam of Art yesterday. G&G, Stickley, Limbert, FL Wright, etc. This table could be slipped into that room and fit right in.

Beautiful.

JR
      JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by JR
        Sarge, I happen to have seen a display of A&C stuff at the LA Cty. Museuam of Art yesterday. G&G, Stickley, Limbert, FL Wright, etc. This table could be slipped into that room and fit right in.

Beautiful.

JR
        Thanks JR. I mastered the mechanics years ago but.. have always struggled with design. I very well may have found my niche over the last year or so. I love working with these A & C pieces but won't limit myself to the styles most are familar with as G & G.. Mission and Stickley.

There is a G. Stickley secretary though that he did for the World Fair in New Orleans in 1904 I believe I do have my eyes on. I don't need a secretary but I awful tempted to give this one a go with a few modification of course.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
          I love working with these A & C pieces but won't limit myself to the styles most are familar with as G & G..
          Man, I was just going gaga over the G&G stuff. I was able to get up close and personal with it and really dig into the details. I guess it's their cloud-lift motif that I like best. Plus they use ebony accents very nicely, as you have done on this table.

I am less taken with Stickley. It's kind of blocky a chunky to my eye.

I wish LOML was into A&C...

JR
          JR

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

Sarge:

I knew that the coffee table book of furniture at the Grove Park Inn came out this year. I haven't seen it yet.

If you can delay that anniversary trip until February, the Grove Park Inn Arts & Crafts Conference is Feb 19-21. It's a wonderful weekend. Bruce Johnson is the ring master of the event. http://www.arts-craftsconference.com/

Whenever you go, ask for a room in the old section of the hotel. The elevator behind the fireplace is too cool.

- Lonnie
            Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM.
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
              Sarge:

I knew that the coffee table book of furniture at the Grove Park Inn came out this year. I haven't seen it yet.

If you can delay that anniversary trip until February, the Grove Park Inn Arts & Crafts Conference is Feb 19-21. It's a wonderful weekend. Bruce Johnson is the ring master of the event. http://www.arts-craftsconference.com/

Whenever you go, ask for a room in the old section of the hotel. The elevator behind the fireplace is too cool.

- Lonnie
              I picked it up at Amazon I believe Lonnie. My go to on A & C is the book by Kevin Rodel and Jonathan Binzen Arts Crafts from Classic to Comtempary Furniture. Excellent history of the whole movement and pictorials. The The Grove Park Inn Arts and Crafts Furniture (I assume the same book you refer to) is by Bruce Johnson and is an excellent history of the Inn and the makers of the furniture there which was mainly Roycraft with a few Stickley and Limbert pieces added latter I believe.

Thanks for the link on the conference which I was not aware of and yes.. interested in. So... I may indeed switch plans and take the wife to Savannah for the 20th Anniversary as she has wanted to go there to see the Historic District anyway and I have a few friends in Savannah. I haven't looked at the link yet but if the price in not prohibitive I may give it a go. Asheville is only about 3 hours from me and Savannah about 3 1/2 so both are in striking distance with no fuss as they could be day trips if nothing else.

Again.. thanks as I'm going to the link now. Are you going to attend? BTW.. I know the Inn is somewhat pricey so I may just do my Appalachian thing and pitch a tent in the front yard well.. until they arrest me for vagrancy.

Just kidding... have a good day sir

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                • May 2003
                • Orlando, FL, USA.
                • BT3000

Sarge:

We won't be at the conference. Jo Ann and I went in 2006 while we were in the middle of the remodel of our bungalow.

The rooms book up a year ahead for the craftsman weekend. However we were able to snag a cancellation. Anytime you go to the Grove Park is great. The October mountain air and fires in the two walk-in fireplaces will make a memorable anniversary if you can't get rooms for the Feb conference.

Enjoy,

- Lonnie
                OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
                  Sarge:

We won't be at the conference. Jo Ann and I went in 2006 while we were in the middle of the remodel of our bungalow.

The rooms book up a year ahead for the craftsman weekend. However we were able to snag a cancellation. Anytime you go to the Grove Park is great. The October mountain air and fires in the two walk-in fireplaces will make a memorable anniversary if you can't get rooms for the Feb conference.

Enjoy,

- Lonnie
                  Thanks again Lonnie. I went over the web-site and it actually appears to be more oriented to collectors but there were some helpful seminars and especially the one on stain and dyes. I noticed you could sign up for it without attending the whole conference if I read it correctly and may do just that.

Did you and Jo Ann go simply because you like A & C and were furnishing your new bungalow (at the time) or are you guys actually collectors? Just curious as I see myself as mainly a buider at this point but there could be much value of learning the in's and out's of collecting and fair pricing.

I started a new piece this afternoon. Just a simple printer table or stand that I am modifying from the magazine rack in the Grove Park book. Well see. LOL

Regards...

Comment

Working...