Shelf Towel Rack

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kevincan
    Established Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 181
    • Central Illinois
    • Craftsman 21829

    #1

    Shelf Towel Rack

    This is a shelf/towel rack that I made for my bathroom. This is featured in the current Wood magazine. It is made of red oak and finished with Minwax Ipswich pine with wipe on poly on top. I changed the size to fit an area in the bathroom.

    The back called for 1/4" hardwood or beadboard. I used my bandsaw to resaw some 3/4" oak for the back. This was a first for me and it worked out pretty good.

  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3014
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

    #2
    That looks really nice Kevincan. I've been thinking of something similar for home.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

    Richard in Smithville

    http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

    Comment

    • drillman88
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 572
      • Southeast
      • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

      #3
      It turned out great, and looks like a very rewarding and useful project.
      I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

      Comment

      • lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 3853
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

        #4
        Very nice. I really like your chice of stain.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

        Comment

        • kevincan
          Established Member
          • Oct 2006
          • 181
          • Central Illinois
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          Thanks everyone.

          I chose that stain color because I had a 1/2 can of it and it is pretty close to the stain on the cabinets in the room. I tried a few samples and also had some color charts but in the end I went cheap and used what I had on hand.

          The wood came from my local Habitat Restore. Every now and then I find a piece or 2 of oak. I think I paid more for the oak dowel rods than the wood in this project.

          Comment

          • Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • 7091
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

            #6
            Nicely done... You'll be surprised when you see how much time you'll spend staring at it...

            Comment

            • ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • 2553
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

              #7
              Originally posted by kevincan
              Thanks everyone.

              I chose that stain color because I had a 1/2 can of it and it is pretty close to the stain on the cabinets in the room. I tried a few samples and also had some color charts but in the end I went cheap and used what I had on hand.

              The wood came from my local Habitat Restore. Every now and then I find a piece or 2 of oak. I think I paid more for the oak dowel rods than the wood in this project.

              Ahhh, resourcefulness (aka, cheap)! I have gotten myself into some trouble trying this tactic. Obviously, yours worked out for the (very) best!
              Blessings,
              Chiz

              Comment

              • John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • 2034
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

                #8
                Very nice.
                John Hunter

                Comment

                • cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 15216
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

                  #9
                  Nice work. It looks perfect for the area. The pattern you created with the back is pretty cool. Hey...can you do pull ups with it?
                  .

                  Comment

                  • SARGE..g-47

                    #10
                    It's simple.. it's clean.. it's functionable but... you took simple up a notch by doing the re-saw which created the book-matched back panel. You could have used the radially cut ply but it would taken away from the clean design with it's radical pattern. The book-match is the icing on the cake on this piece and you get my kudo's for going that route...

                    Well done...

                    Comment

                    Working...